UMass Votes Coalition hosts voter registration event -

Brettell presents on U.S. immigration policies -

UMass running back Marquis Young looks to build off momentum gained against Mississippi State -

UMass field hockey team seeks revenge against undefeated UConn -

UMass hockey announces captains for 2016-17 season -

Andy Isabella finds his niche within the UMass football offense -

The EpiPen Crisis: How did this happen? -

Cymbals Eat Guitars evolve and impress on “Pretty Years” -

Artifex Pereo’s “Passengers” is an otherworldly, haunting ride -

Bastille perfectly encapsulates the “Wild World” we live in -

Candlelight vigil held to mourn deaths of victims of police violence -

UMass hosts William A. Douglass for lecture and chair in Basque cultural studies -

Amherst Select Board discusses imposing fines on those who violate water usage ban -

UMass tennis opens season on high note with performance at Brown Invitational -

UMass women’s soccer using long break to prepare for Atlantic 10 play -

Notebook: Ford ‘takes step forward,’ Williams appears on SportsCenter -

UMass cross country and track and field coach Ken O’Brien hits half century mark with program -

A-10 soccer notebook: Duquesne shuts out Robert Morris 1-0 to win fourth straight -

The blue light situation: When is enough, enough? -

Survivor; awesome yet evil -

UMass men’s soccer defeats Colgate, 3-0

The Massachusetts men’s soccer team scored all it needed to secure the victory in the first 15 minutes of play.

Just in case that wasn’t enough, the Minutemen (3-1-3) scored two more just in the first half on their way to a 3-0 victory over Colgate on Tuesday. The win gave UMass a three-game winning streak, all of which have been shutouts, with one game left on the non-conference schedule.

Freshman Dominic Skrajewski scored the first goal after forward Mark DeSantis took a corner kick that bent towards the left. Goalkeeper Max Krasilovsky-Revell deflected the ball into the possession of defender Andrew Henshaw.

The sophomore then tapped the ball over to the left and Skrajewski got a shot off the left post inside the goal box.

The Minutemen didn’t have to wait much later for their second goal of the game. Five minutes later, the Raiders (4-4-0) fouled DeSantis inside the box, allowing left-footed Bryant Craft to drain a penalty kick to give them a 2-0 lead.

“We put the ball away in the first half well,” UMass coach Sam Koch said. “They weren’t great goals, but they were goals.”

Fouls proved costly for Colgate as they gave the Minutemen several opportunities in the goal and kept the pressure on the defense throughout the game. The Raiders finished with 13 fouls, seven of those coming in the first half.

On one of the fouls, midfielder Mike Garzi tripped midfielder Tyler Brown after he stole the ball away just outside of the box, which caused Garzi to pick up the game’s only yellow card.

Playing physical teams is nothing new for UMass. Three of the Minutemen’s previous opponents (Boston University, Hartford and Vermont) fouled more times than the Raiders.

But this time, UMass made the most of the penalties.

“[The penalty kick] was a nice momentum builder for us because we’ve been having those stops,” Koch said. “If you foul us around the 18-yard box, you’re going to get in trouble.”

Goalkeeper Chris Piekos (three saves) didn’t have a whole lot of work to do on defense as the Maroon and White limited shots on goal for the Raiders. The shutout gives Piekos his third of the season dating back to the Sept. 11 draw against New Hampshire.

The Raiders, however, faced pressure the entire game, even when certain possessions seemed to be going their way.

With 17 minutes, 22 seconds left in the first half, midfielder Stuart Amick dribbled past a Colgate defender but found himself cornered between the defender and the end line. Amick took a shot that was deflected by a defender that appeared to be going out of bounds.

The junior rebounded the shot while keeping the ball inbounds, and found DeSantis on a cross, who headed the ball in from the left side. The goal gave DeSantis his third of the season and is now the team leader in goals scored.

Colgate switched goalkeepers at the half to Colin Prather, who helped his team hold UMass to one shot on goal, but the defense stayed intact with Piekos having his only save opportunity of the half come with nine minutes left in the game.

Although the Raiders could only get the ball towards Piekos’s general direction a limited number of times, they found a few opportunities that forced the Minutemen to stay alert.

“At the end of the game, we gave them opportunities, which I didn’t really feel like we should’ve [done],” Koch said.

UMass plays its first conference opponent of the season against Fordham at home on Saturday, although the game doesn’t count as part of the Atlantic 10 schedule.

Adam Miller can be reached at ajmil0@student.umass.edu.