Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

What is the true cost of Gen Eds?

For almost four years now, my search to find an interesting and easy – preferably easy – physical science (PS) general education class has been a dismal failure. I tried Astronomy 101, but it was inexplicably boring and much harder than it should be. I gave Geology 101 a shot, but that too had nothing to do with me. More recently, I went with Chemistry 102, but the class material was so outside of anything I cared about, I decided to roll the dice and deal with the PS requirement in my last semester.

Two weeks ago, the UMass Faculty Senate revealed changes to the General Education Requirements that will affect freshmen entering next fall. Unfortunately, the Gen Ed changes do extend far enough to ensure that students have as much opportunity to explore various fields as they might desire.

My personal approach to college has been to take whatever classes catch my eye. With this philosophy I have taken such varied classes as Middle East History, African History, Irish Experience, a class at Amherst college, random political science classes that appeal to me and some public health classes for good measure. In doing so, I have been entirely satisfied by UMass’s varied class offerings because I ditched my requirements list and did whatever I wanted.

Thanks to UMass’s strict rules on how many Gen Ed classes one has to take and the exact headings they have to fall under, however, I was forced into a corner and have been scrambling to cover all the necessary bases. What the Faculty Senate should have done was create an opportunity for more choice and experimentation. It did well to abolish a third science requirement and the superfluous “social world” requirement, but it did not go far enough.

Why should students have to take a biological science and a physical science? Instead students could have two biological and physical world requirements, but be given free reign to take anything under those guidelines. Why should students have to take a literature class, a history class and a social and behavioral science class? Instead, require students to take four classes in the Social World while allowing the students to choose which. This approach will guarantee that students have to take some basic introductory classes in specific fields, but will not limit choices so strictly, forcing students to take classes that inspire the least of interest.

It is much easier to wake up in the morning to take a class that is half interesting than to wake up to go to an introductory chemistry class that is just a repeat of basic high school level chemistry. How does this add to a college experience? It just is a waste of time and takes time away from possible opportunities to apply yourself in something that appeals to you.

Personally, ever since the Middle East History class, I have understood the contentious sparks between Shia’a and Sunni sides. Since the History of Africa class, the historical dimensions of colonialism make much more sense. This knowledge might not help me with my career, but is much more appealing to me than how two molecules of hydrogen plus one molecule of oxygen make water – if that is even how chemistry works. Rock formations, the solar system and ocean depths shed little, if any light, on anything for many students – give us a chance to opt out.

It is obviously difficult to design a general education system that keeps everyone happy and excited about class. What civil engineer would want to take a literature or philosophy course? In the same breath, what political science or management major would be interested in a basic physical or biological science? Maybe this means the Gen Ed system needs to be more complex. Instead of forcing science majors into lit and classes like it, cut those requirements and vice versa for social science majors. It is not as if students will no longer be taking classes – they will still have a minimum credit requirement to reach. But letting students learn about things they might be interested in is the only way to expand their horizons and keep them involved. When I eventually invest in a silly PS class, I am not likely going to be one of those sitting at the front of class, participating excitedly and doing the readings.

There are incredible classes offered here at UMass and in the entire Five College system. A History of Western Medicine class at Amherst College was probably the most intriguing class I have ever taken even with the bland subject matter. Opportunities to take that class and other classes like it here at UMass, or at any of the Five Colleges, are severely limited because of the extensive amount of Gen Ed classes that UMass requires. The new system, as apparently designed, is a step in the right direction, but still leaves students with few options. College is supposed to be about choice; a time of finding out what one is destined to do. Introductory classes are certainly necessary, but at what cost?

Nick Milano is a Collegian columnist. He can be reached at nmilano@student.umass.edu.