Lawrence Osborn Fossil Collection showcases fossils from across the globe, spanning vast ages -

Retired professor and public figure, Julius Lester, passed away at age 78 -

UMass looks to maintain discipline in Tuesday’s tilt at Boston College -

UMass men’s and women’s swimming and diving earns second place finishes at Dartmouth Invitational -

YouTube’s free speech problem -

Resolutions should not wait until the new year -

Book review: ‘When Breath Becomes Air’ by Paul Kalanithi -

Charli XCX’s latest release, ‘Pop 2,’ is another gorgeous experiment on electro-pop -

Rashaan Holloway ruled academically ineligible, will miss rest of season -

Minutewomen hold on to defeat VCU, snap losing streak -

America’s misguided war on low-income financial assistance -

Blue lights aren’t needed on campus anymore -

Cupcakke’s ‘Ephorize’ proves it’s time to take her seriously -

Netflix series ‘The End of the F***ing World’ packs a punch -

UMass hockey falls flat in 5-0 loss to Northeastern -

UMass women’s track and field takes first, men fourth at Joe Donahue Games -

Sanzo: UMass’ game vs. St. Louis is a sign of what it is without its grit -

UMass men’s basketball gets blown out by Saint Louis, 66-47 -

UMass hockey shuts down No. 8 Northeastern with 3-0 win -

Matt Murray hands Northeastern its first shutout of the season -

Got a mint for the festival that stinks?

Be sure to bring along a tin of Altoids to this weekend’s Garlic and Arts Festival which has been described as “the festival that stinks.” The event, currently in its 10th year, is a quaint country gathering of local farmers, craftsmen, vendors and vampire haters.

The festival is the brainchild of Ricky Baruc, a farmer from Orange, Mass. While harvesting garlic one day and lamenting the lack of retail outlets for the fantastic fruit of the earth, he came up with the idea of holding an event to celebrate the marvelous cloves and provide farmers with an opportunity to sell their stinky crop. He soon broadened his vision to include all the local farmers, artists and craftspeople who had to travel long distances to markets and galleries in order to sell their goods. With the help of neighboring farmers, he hosted the event in its first year at his Seeds of Solidarity farm in 1999.

Though the event has moved down the road to a bigger space capable of accommodating the large volume of garlic-lovers in the area, Baruc and other founding farmers are still closely involved in the festival. Currently supported by the Seeds of Solidarity Center for Education, a non-profit organization, the event draws volunteers of all ages from the community.

Their combined efforts have helped to preserve the original spirit of the festival. According to the Garlic and Arts mission statement, the event aims to celebrate “the artistic, agricultural and cultural bounty of the region and unite North Quabbin people whose livelihoods are connected to the land and the arts.” The festival invites people “to experience the richness of an area that is often overlooked” and “emphasizes what is homegrown and high quality, as well as what helps preserve and support the environment.”

Festival goers can expect to find local and often organic produce from area farms. You can also look forward to many garlic-infused offerings from nearby restaurants including Bueno y Sano’s roasted garlic burritos and the North Quabbin Men for Missions’ garlic cheese fries.

While munching on their stinky dishes, visitors can watch local musicians on the main stage performing anything from jazz to folk to soul and funk. Garlic lovers can also check out the renewable energy tent and various sustainable energy exhibits from local organizations. Other local groups will be putting on healing arts, cooking and agricultural demonstrations.

Artist booths will feature a range of goods, including silver work, hand-woven cloths, jewelry, reproduced antique maps, glass work, paintings, woodwork, dolls, knit-items and homemade soaps, just to name a few.

The Festival will take place this weekend, Oct. 3 and 4 at Forsters Farm, 60 Chestnut Hill Road in Orange, Mass. from 10 a.m to 5 p.m. Admission is $5 for guests over 12 years old, or adults may purchase a weekend pass for $8.

Cal Scannell can be reached at cscannel@dailycollegian.com.