UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Got a mint for the festival that stinks?

Be sure to bring along a tin of Altoids to this weekend’s Garlic and Arts Festival which has been described as “the festival that stinks.” The event, currently in its 10th year, is a quaint country gathering of local farmers, craftsmen, vendors and vampire haters.

The festival is the brainchild of Ricky Baruc, a farmer from Orange, Mass. While harvesting garlic one day and lamenting the lack of retail outlets for the fantastic fruit of the earth, he came up with the idea of holding an event to celebrate the marvelous cloves and provide farmers with an opportunity to sell their stinky crop. He soon broadened his vision to include all the local farmers, artists and craftspeople who had to travel long distances to markets and galleries in order to sell their goods. With the help of neighboring farmers, he hosted the event in its first year at his Seeds of Solidarity farm in 1999.

Though the event has moved down the road to a bigger space capable of accommodating the large volume of garlic-lovers in the area, Baruc and other founding farmers are still closely involved in the festival. Currently supported by the Seeds of Solidarity Center for Education, a non-profit organization, the event draws volunteers of all ages from the community.

Their combined efforts have helped to preserve the original spirit of the festival. According to the Garlic and Arts mission statement, the event aims to celebrate “the artistic, agricultural and cultural bounty of the region and unite North Quabbin people whose livelihoods are connected to the land and the arts.” The festival invites people “to experience the richness of an area that is often overlooked” and “emphasizes what is homegrown and high quality, as well as what helps preserve and support the environment.”

Festival goers can expect to find local and often organic produce from area farms. You can also look forward to many garlic-infused offerings from nearby restaurants including Bueno y Sano’s roasted garlic burritos and the North Quabbin Men for Missions’ garlic cheese fries.

While munching on their stinky dishes, visitors can watch local musicians on the main stage performing anything from jazz to folk to soul and funk. Garlic lovers can also check out the renewable energy tent and various sustainable energy exhibits from local organizations. Other local groups will be putting on healing arts, cooking and agricultural demonstrations.

Artist booths will feature a range of goods, including silver work, hand-woven cloths, jewelry, reproduced antique maps, glass work, paintings, woodwork, dolls, knit-items and homemade soaps, just to name a few.

The Festival will take place this weekend, Oct. 3 and 4 at Forsters Farm, 60 Chestnut Hill Road in Orange, Mass. from 10 a.m to 5 p.m. Admission is $5 for guests over 12 years old, or adults may purchase a weekend pass for $8.

Cal Scannell can be reached at cscannel@dailycollegian.com.