Amazon textbook contract ending in December 2018 -

UMass field hockey heads into crucial A-10 matchup -

2017 Hockey Special Issue -

International Relations Club tackles tough issues at ‘Foreign Policy Coffee Hour’ -

Sexual assault reports spike on campus -

Californian students react to wildfires back home -

‘My Little Pony: The Movie’ is a surprising animated treat, whether you’re a fan of the show or not -

With a young team, Carvel is preparing the UMass hockey team to thrive -

Letter: UMass hockey is great, but where are the students? -

Boino’s blast gives UMass men’s soccer sole possession of first place in the Atlantic 10 -

UMass freshmen look to play physical, make an impact and improve early on -

UMass hockey sets out to create new program, identity in 2017-18 -

Cale Makar: UMass hockey’s crown jewel -

Ames: If first four games are any indicator, this UMass hockey season could differ for the better -

Josh Couturier looks to find where he fits within UMass lineup -

The straw man fallacy: missing the point on Indigenous Peoples Day -

Power to the Thin Mint: improve the Girls Scouts program -

‘Blade Runner 2049’ has a lot of ideas that it fails to develop -

Early season challenge awaits for UMass hockey in weekend set with Ohio State -

UMass Professor Barbara Krauthamer receives award from Association of Black Women Historians -

Markert, Weinraub first A-10 co-players of the Week during conference play

Nicole Markert of St. Bonaventure and Whitney Weinraub of Charlotte share the first Atlantic 10 co-Players of the Week honors during conference play for 2009-10.

Markert’s goal-keeping skills produced the second win in a row for the Bonnie’s in a 1-0 win over Saint Louis. This game follows their 2-0 victory over Rhode Island on Sept. 25, which marked St. Bonaventure’s first win in an A-10 opener in the past 10 years.

Markert clinched this co-Player of the Week spot by saving six goals in the game versus the Rams (3-5-1, 1-1-0 A-10). Two days later, Markert earned another shutout against Saint Louis by saving three goals. La Salle (6-3-2, 0-1-1) had a chance to tie up the game in the 76th minute; however Markert came through for the team and kept the opponent’s goals at zero. These two shutouts helped the Bonnies’ record to 2-0 in the A-10 conference.

Whitney Weinraub contributed to the offensive play of Charlotte by scoring three goals and assisting on anotherl this past weekend. Weinraub started off strong by scoring a goal in the 5-3 win over Duquesne Friday night. She continued her scoring streak in Sunday’s game against Fordham with two goals and one assist as the 49ers beat the Rams, 4-0. These impressive stats not only gave Weinraub the co-player of the week title, but also boosted her to the top of the conference in scoring, with eight goals and 18 points. Charlotte is 2-0 in conference play.

Dayton dominates

This past weekend, Dayton (6-0, 2-0) continued their undefeated winning streak with wins over Temple and George Washington. Along with these wins, freshman Colleen Williams was also named Co-Rookie of the Week.

Friday night, the Flyers shut out the Owls in a 4-0 victory. Four different players scored for Dayton, including Lauren MacCormick and Emily Kenyon during the first 30 minutes of play and Cara Cornacchia and Josie Grant, who notched scores in the second half. On the defensive side, freshman Katherine Boone saved three goals to ensure the shutout. Colleen Williams also contributed to this win with an assist for the goal by Grant.

Two days later, Dayton executed another 4-0 shutout against George Washington. The Flyers wasted no time getting down to business when MacCormick scored again in the first 31 seconds of the game. Mandi Bäck and Cornacchia also scored in the second half. Co-rookie of the week Colleen Williams not only scored the final goal for Dayton, but also assisted on Bäck’s goal. Dayton now has an overall record of 6-0-4, along with a 2-0 record for the A-10 conference.

Star saver

Junior Melissa Sanger has stepped up as the star goalkeeper for La Salle (6-3-2, 0-1-1). As the Explorers battled the Billiken’s this past Friday, Sanger had an impressive 10 saves to keep the game scoreless.

This tie served as Sanger’s 10th career shutout and moved her number of saves up to 188. She has four shutouts this season, with the past two being back-to-back. This past weekend of play also improved Sanger’s goals-saved percentage to 92.9 percent, ranking her eighth in the country.

Five total shots made La Salle’s scoring troubles throughout the game apparent. Three of those five were by senior Melanie Gamble.

Sanger couldn’t continue her shutout streak on Sunday, when the Explorers lost to the Spiders, 2-1. Richmond led the game with two goals for the entire first half and majority of the second half. Sophomore Erin Brennan scored on a header in the 70th minute, however La Salle couldn’t score anymore goals to pull off the win.

Geena Lombardi can be reached at glombard@student.umass.edu.