UMass Dining app wins prestigious award -

Notebook: UMass men’s basketball coach Derek Kellogg ready to move on from Fordham loss, impressed with Rashaan Holloway’s improvement -

Creating realistic resolutions -

I love football, but injuries mar the game -

State funding restored for Amherst homeless shelter -

UMass swimming and diving pushing theme of intensity as regular season draws to a close -

UMass club hockey falls to NYU 3-2 in first game back from vacation -

The beauty of Birthright -

UMass women’s track and field victorious, men fifth at Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Seven fashion in film moments -

UMass professor wins big on ‘Jeopardy!’ -

SGA president selects new vice president -

UMass women’s basketball blows 15 point fourth quarter lead, loses in double overtime to George Washington -

Cyr: Expectations for UMass men’s basketball remain consistent throughout 2016-17 season -

The death penalty is not the answer -

Donald Trump is gutting journalism with his Twitter -

Winter break’s most overlooked releases -

Hardly anything in ‘Rogue One’ scores a direct hit -

Nineteen turnovers sink UMass men’s basketball in loss to Fordham Saturday -

Charlotte dominates A-10 opponents

Charlotte’s Atlantic 10 women’s soccer team  recorded its 20th straight win this past weekend with victories over the University of Massachusetts and Rhode Island. These two wins also marked the 49ers’ third consecutive shutout.

Charlotte (10-2, 4-0 A-10) started its dominant play while hosting the Rams (3-9-1, 2-2 A-10) on Friday night. Hailey Beam, Oni Bernard, Lena Suarez and last week’s co-player of the Week Whitney Weinraub were the four players to contribute goals. Beam’s 32nd career goal, scored in the seventh minute of play off of a corner kick, moved her into second place in Charlotte’s all-time goals scored list. She also moved up this list into sixth place with her 27th career goal late in the second half. Weinraub also leads her team this season with nine goals.

Sophomores Bernard and Suarez both scored for the second time this season.

The 49ers’ defense also stood strong during this game, allowing only nine shots on goal total. The victory was Charlotte’s seventh shut out of the season.

Sunday’s 4-0 victory over the Minutewomen (3-6-2, 2-2) increased Charlotte’s consecutive wins to 20. Once again, four players scored for the 49ers – Hailey Beam, Danielle Mayeaux, Kirby Stenard and India Winford. Charlotte’s offense dominated with 24 shots, compared to Massachusetts’ eight shots. The scoring started in the 18th minute as Beam scored for the second time this weekend. Four minutes later, Mayeux contributed a goal of her own. Charlotte did not show mercy as Stenard scored yet another goal seven minutes later. Winford wrapped up the scoring in the 68th minute of play.

The 49ers’ defense was not to be outplayed; goalkeeper Lauren Brown recorded her third straight shut out of the season. The impressive weekend of play keeps Charlotte undefeated in the A-10 conference.

Flyers yet to be Beaten

Dayton’s women’s soccer team (8-0-4, 4-0), along with Charlotte, are the only two undefeated teams in the A-10. With victories over Fordham and La Salle this past weekend, the Flyers proved their worth in the conference.

Freshman Alysha Mallon posted the first goal of the game right before the first half ended. Senior Lauren MacCormick set up a perfect assist to give Mallon her first collegiate goal. The score remained unchanged until the 73rd  minute, when junior Jerica DeWolfe took a tough shot from 20 yards out, giving the Flyers a 2-0 advantage.

The Rams (3-9-1, 2-2) did not give the victory up easily, outshooting Dayton 7-6. However, Flyer goal-keeper Katherine Boone saved three close shots. This was Boone’s third consecutive shutout.

La Salle (6-5-2, 0-3-1) took an early lead in Sunday’s game, keeping the score at 1-0 throughout the first half and most of the second as well. However, Dayton tied up the game in the 81st minute with a hard-earned goal by Junior Kelly Blumenschein. When the first attempt at a goal from a corner kick failed, Blumenschein stepped in and made sure she finished the play. Although the Flyers outshot the Explorers 24-6, the score remained unchanged, forcing the game into overtime.

With four seconds left in overtime, senior Mandi Bäck netted the winning goal. This is not the first time Bäck saved a game this season. In last week’s game against La Salle, she also scored one of the goals to bring the Flyers into the lead.

Temple Struggles in Conference Play

Temple (4-7-2, 0-4-0) still has yet to win a game in the conference, with two losses this past weekend against Richmond and George Washington.

Neither Temple nor Richmond scored in the first half of play last Friday. Richmond (7-5-1, 3-1-0) opened up the scoring with a goal in the 49th  minute, followed by another in the 82nd minute. Down by two goals, Sophomore Nikki Conn attempted to even up the score with a goal assisted by junior Sara Scheid. Although the Owls continued to outshoot the Spiders, they could not come back from the deficit.

Sunday proved to be just as negative as George Washington (4-4-4, 1-1-2 A-10) also defeated Temple.

The Owls, after remaining goalless in the first half, took the lead in the second half. Sophomore Allie Yurkovic scored off of a corner kick, putting Temple up 1-0. The Colonials answered with a game-tying goal in the 67th minute. George Washington scored again two minutes later, making the score 2-1. The Owls could not generate offense, giving George Washington the win.

Goal-keeper Kara Williams had five saves, but that was not enough to help Temple to a win. This weekend’s defeats mark the fourth consecutive loss for the Owls, after being beaten by Rhode Island and Dayton in the first week of conference play.

Geena Lombardi can be reached at glombard@student.umass.edu.