UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass clashes with Harvard in continued rivalry

A long time rivalry will be renewed Tuesday when the Massachusetts field hockey team travels to Cambridge to face Harvard – its longest road stretch of the season.

The No. 9 Minutewomen (8-3) had a string of home games to begin the year and close the season with four out of five games in Amherst. However, UMass is currently in the middle of its schedule, where seven of its eight games are on opposing teams’ fields.

Harvard is the first of four opponents in the upcoming road stint for the Minutewomen. Having played every season for the past decade, the two teams are familiar with each other.

“Harvard is a little younger this year, but they’re still a quality team,” UMass coach Justine Sowry said. “They are very good on their home field, and they are going to be motivated.”

The Crimson (4-4) enter the game with momentum after snapping their four-game losing streak with a 4-3 overtime victory against Brown on Saturday.

After playing strong to begin the season, the Harvard defense is currently struggling to hold opponents to low scoring games. In their first three wins, the Crimson allowed a total of four goals, but during the four-game losing streak, the defense allowed an average of five goals per game. The recent vulnerability of Harvard on its own end of the field should open up opportunities for the Minutewomen attack.

While Harvard is a team that UMass should beat, Sowry doesn’t want the Minutewomen to take the Crimson for granted and look forward to upcoming games with conference play on the horizon.

“We can’t think ahead to UConn. We have to take it one day, one game at a time.”

Since 2001, the Crimson hold an edge in the matchup with five wins to three for the Minutewomen. All five wins, though, have come from 2001 to 2005. UMass has controlled the rivalry in the last three years, playing in only one closely-contested game, which came last season in a double overtime affair.

It took 99 minutes to decide the outcome with the teams deadlocked in a 2-2 tie. The Minutewomen were in command throughout both overtimes and finally broke through with one minute, 43 seconds left in the second extra period for the 3-2 win.

UMass captain and leading scorer, Katie Kelly, isn’t looking for a repeat of last year’s game though, and hopes her team can take care of business without exerting too much energy.

“Hopefully it won’t be as close as last time and we’ll pick up our game, make it our game the whole time, and finish it in regulation to get the job done.”

Fatigue has factored into the play of the Minutewomen, but so far UMass has been able to handle it. As much as Sowry is trying to keep the players fresh, she understands that exhaustion is an inevitable cause for concern.

“We are going to continue to battle our fatigue, and mentally, we’re going to have to bring it,” she said. “When we get fatigued, we make mistakes that we can’t afford to make and eventually our luck will run out.”

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.