UMass Divest and proponents of sanctuary campus will not be allowed to speak at Board of Trustees meeting -

Former political prisoner to speak on human rights and prison experience -

UMass men’s basketball using late-game situations as learning opportunities for remainder of season -

UMass men’s basketball kicks off Gotham Classic at home against Pacific -

UMass hockey looks to continue recent improvements against Connecticut -

UMass hockey team confident in game plan despite UConn’s constant change in net -

UMass women’s basketball falls apart in the fourth quarter in 71-55 loss to Hofstra -

It’s been a long year -

A return to the collapse of 2008 -

Mindfulness in, and in spite of, a technological age -

Beer, bets and pool: a High Horse unofficial review -

Don’t let winter stop you from running outside -

BREAKING: Train allegedly strikes pedestrian in Amherst -

Campus Climate survey shows strong response -

Jennifer Carlson gives talk on race and gun law enforcement -

Labor Center to receive increased funding from University -

Verdi enforces playing a full 40 minutes as UMass takes on Hofstra -

Mulligan looks to continue seven game double-double streak at Hofstra -

Jesus: the conservative Republican -

The joy of Snapchat -

Student Government Association unanimously ratifies 2009 elections

voteThe SGA Coordinating Council voted unanimously on Tuesday, Oct. 6 to ratify the 2009 Senate elections. At the same time, the Council withheld from ratifying the election’s second referendum question regarding online elections, due to the wording differing from what students signed on petitions last year.

According to Speaker Modesto Montero, who moderated the meeting, there was legal precedent for ratifying parts of an election and excluding portions of the results. Montero pointed to the 1997-1998 SGA election, in which the Coordinating Council voted to exclude a portion of the results while ratifying the majority of the election.

“There were obvious issues with the wording of question two,” said Chancellor of Elections Chris Faulkner. Despite the referendum’s exclusion from the election ratification, there remains little doubt that online voting will be passed by the SGA in some form in the near future. The student body has overwhelmingly endorsed the idea, voting by a margin of 81 percent for referendum question two.

“This is the year [online voting] is going to happen,” said Montero. “It just has to be done right. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was voted on before the end of [2009]. I doubt there is a single senator who isn’t in support of online elections in some form, but since the process started there have been legitimate concerns being voiced about how to securely move online. It’s going to take time, but we will get it done.”

The ratification of the election took place while a number of complaints from write-in candidate Brad DeFlumeri were still pending review by the Student Judiciary. DeFlumeri’s complaint alleges numerous violations of the SGA election procedure, including failure to provide candidates with certified copies of the SGA Constitution, and a lack of elections commissioners staffing polling stations while voting was underway last week.

DeFlumeri could not be reached for comment in time for publication.

“According to [Student Legal Services], it is okay to ratify elections before the Judiciary conference takes place,” said Faulkner during his presentation at Tuesday’s meeting.

The Student Judiciary could possibly meet the evening of Oct. 8 to review DeFlumeri’s complaints. The Student Judiciary, chaired by Chief Justice Robert Weed, is tasked with determining the constitutionality of actions taken by the Executive and Legislative branches of the SGA, including the elections’ process.

On Tuesday, the SGA Coordinating Council also voted unanimously to amend last week’s official election report, which suggested that Northeast Residential Area has two senate seats, when in reality, has three.

Nick Bush can be reached at nbush@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Student Government Association unanimously ratifies 2009 elections”
  1. Brad DeFlumeri says:

The Hearing is actually going to be the 15th of October, not the 8th, place and time TBA by the Judiciary.

2. Reality says:

And yet nobody cares…