UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Student Government Association unanimously ratifies 2009 elections

voteThe SGA Coordinating Council voted unanimously on Tuesday, Oct. 6 to ratify the 2009 Senate elections. At the same time, the Council withheld from ratifying the election’s second referendum question regarding online elections, due to the wording differing from what students signed on petitions last year.

According to Speaker Modesto Montero, who moderated the meeting, there was legal precedent for ratifying parts of an election and excluding portions of the results. Montero pointed to the 1997-1998 SGA election, in which the Coordinating Council voted to exclude a portion of the results while ratifying the majority of the election.

“There were obvious issues with the wording of question two,” said Chancellor of Elections Chris Faulkner. Despite the referendum’s exclusion from the election ratification, there remains little doubt that online voting will be passed by the SGA in some form in the near future. The student body has overwhelmingly endorsed the idea, voting by a margin of 81 percent for referendum question two.

“This is the year [online voting] is going to happen,” said Montero. “It just has to be done right. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was voted on before the end of [2009]. I doubt there is a single senator who isn’t in support of online elections in some form, but since the process started there have been legitimate concerns being voiced about how to securely move online. It’s going to take time, but we will get it done.”

The ratification of the election took place while a number of complaints from write-in candidate Brad DeFlumeri were still pending review by the Student Judiciary. DeFlumeri’s complaint alleges numerous violations of the SGA election procedure, including failure to provide candidates with certified copies of the SGA Constitution, and a lack of elections commissioners staffing polling stations while voting was underway last week.

DeFlumeri could not be reached for comment in time for publication.

“According to [Student Legal Services], it is okay to ratify elections before the Judiciary conference takes place,” said Faulkner during his presentation at Tuesday’s meeting.

The Student Judiciary could possibly meet the evening of Oct. 8 to review DeFlumeri’s complaints. The Student Judiciary, chaired by Chief Justice Robert Weed, is tasked with determining the constitutionality of actions taken by the Executive and Legislative branches of the SGA, including the elections’ process.

On Tuesday, the SGA Coordinating Council also voted unanimously to amend last week’s official election report, which suggested that Northeast Residential Area has two senate seats, when in reality, has three.

Nick Bush can be reached at nbush@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Student Government Association unanimously ratifies 2009 elections”
  1. Brad DeFlumeri says:

The Hearing is actually going to be the 15th of October, not the 8th, place and time TBA by the Judiciary.

2. Reality says:

And yet nobody cares…