UMass football can’t overcome four third quarter Mississippi State touchdowns, fall 47-35 Saturday -

UMass football’s fourth quarter comeback attempt falls short against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Despite improvement, UMass football still can’t capture first marquee FBS win -

MassPIRG kicks off for the fall semester -

UMass Resistance Studies Initiative hosts activist and author George Lakey -

UMass field hockey readies for tough tests against Stanford, Boston College -

Calling the shots: everything you need to know about the flu vaccine -

UMass assistant Professor speaks about oppression of American Indians -

Astronomy department head hosting sundial and sky-watching event -

UMass football looks to pull off upset against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Comis? Ford? Here’s how I would handle the UMass quarterback situation this weekend against Mississippi State -

An unofficial presidential debate drinking game for the unruly masses -

Stop sweating the small stuff -

In defense of being uncomfortable -

Please go to sleep -

VIDEO – ‘Life in the Dollhouse: Wes Anderson and the Dollhouse Aesthetic’ -

Student struck by car near UMass’ Mullins Center -

President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Nick Rampone anticipate productive year at SGA -

Symposium hosts discussion on safety for journalism students -

Andrew Ford, Ross Comis still battling for UMass football’s starting QB position -

Regina Spektor a “Far” cry from a normal artist

Regina Spektor is flexible.  From writing style to influences, the singer-songwriter and pianist never ceases to surprise listeners with impressive displays of vocal acrobatics and a smile that lights up any stage.

The ever-grinning star is set to perform at Northampton’s Calvin Theater on Monday, Oct. 12 to spread some of her piano-pop cheer throughout the Pioneer Valley.

Opening the occasion is the fellow Brooklyn-based group Jupiter One.  The five-piece band is the sum of their wide array of influences, culminating into a synth-driven whole.  Much like Spektor, the band comes out of New York’s “anti-folk” movement and has recently stumbled upon media success with several of their songs being featured in EA video games.

Born in Moscow and raised in New York, Spektor had the advantage of a diverse musical upbringing. With a music professor for a mother and a father who dabbled in violin, her childhood was constantly full of sound. 

Young Spektor was just as much influenced by Ella Fitzgerald and the Beatles as she was classical and Jewish music.

Her first collection of songs, “11:11” was self-released in 2001.  She remained rather unknown outside of Brooklyn for several years, self-releasing another album aptly titled “Songs” in 2002.

Spektor’s third studio album, “Soviet Kitsch” gained quite a bit of momentum for the songstress.  “Us,” one of the more popular tracks, was featured on several commercials and “Somedays” on “CSI: NY.”

In 2006, Spektor released “Begin to Hope,” and her career took a turn for the best.  With the début of the single “Fidelity,” she was no longer an indie darling but a widespread phenomenon. 

“Fidelity” is a tasteful combination of highly melodic piano pop and lyric sensibilities, with Spektor bending her voice to make beautiful intricacies of the simplest words.

The songwriter released the piano driven “Far” earlier this year.  Drawing from both “Soviet Kitsch” and “Begin to Hope,” her latest effort  combines the usual quirky characters and classical influence.

Tracks like “Eet” and “Dance Anthem of the 80’s” exemplify her unusual vocal stylings, featuring Spektor’s take on beat boxing and highly original phrasings.  Her music makes a point of defying genre classification.

Spektor is often associated with the “anti-folk” movement, which embraces a number of styles and artists, all of which verge on the experimental side and draw heavily from the 60s folk movement. 

Some of the more notable artists under this blanket include Devendra Banhart, Kimya Dawson and Dufus, one of Spektor’s favorite live acts. 

Still, Spektor refuses to pigeonhole her music. “I have this fear of getting stuck and doing the same thing over and over again I’m always trying to push the dexterity thing,” said the siren in an interview with WomanRock Magazine.

That being said, the artist makes a point to diversify the subjects of her songs as well. With Spektor, every song is a story. 

In reference to her writing style, she reveals that, “I relate it much more to short stories or little cinema pieces and making up characters rather than songs.”

Spektor’s music even has a conscience.  In 2007, she participated in “Instant Karma,” a compilation of covers by modern artists that went to benefit Darfur.  She also took part in “Songs For Tibet” to support the rights of Tibetan citizens.

Spektor’s songs are instantly recognizable with their classical flare and warm vocals.  Whether she is performing as a heart-wrenching songstress or a whimsical teller of tales, Spektor is always serious about her love of music.   

Calvin Theater is the perfect environment for Spektor to spread her wings and show off some new tunes.

Regina Spektor will be performing at Calvin Theater in Northampton at 8.pm.  Tickets range for $28.50 to $38.50.

Angela Stasiowski can be reached at astasiow@student.umass.edu.