UMass hockey fails to generate scoring chances in 3-0 loss to Notre Dame Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball shooting woes continue as the Minutemen fall 65-62 to UCF -

Despite poor shooting performance, UMass men’s basketball shows improvement on defensive end -

Notebook: Ty Flowers shines in UMass men’s basketball’s loss to UCF Saturday -

Ray Pigozzi shines in first game back for the UMass hockey team since November 4 -

UMass starts hot, finishes strong in upset win over No. 12 Notre Dame -

SGA vice president will resign at the end of the semester -

Raise the Flag protestors praise -

Dining and Housekeeping employees at Smith College seek new contract -

In response to election, immigration lawyer briefs students on potential changes -

Avinoam Patt discusses the role of displaced Jews in the creation of Israel -

UMass women’s basketball falls to Hartford, snaps three-game winning streak -

Brison Gresham makes long awaited debut for UMass men’s basketball -

UMass hockey hosts No. 12 Notre Dame in Hockey East doubleheader -

UMass men’s basketball picks up fourth straight win as it tops Wagner Wednesday night at Mullins Center -

UMass hockey gets chance to bond during trip to Belfast -

The true backbone of America -

Letter: Craig’s Place to fight against fatal budget cuts -

Enduring the 2016 Tower Run at Du Bois Library -

C.J. Anderson, Malik Hines each have career nights in UMass men’s basketball’s win over Wagner -

Smith student sexually assaulted Sunday

A Smith College student was sexually assaulted on the Northampton campus early Sunday morning.

According to a statement released to Smith students by public safely director Paul Ominsky, the student, whose name has not been released by the school or police, was reportedly attacked Sunday morning between 3 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. in the living room of Chapin House.

She said her assailant is a white man about 5’6”, of average build, approximately 28 years old, with a light beard and mustache. The Northampton Police Department has released a sketch of the suspect who is believed to go by the name of Josh. The student reportedly knew the man prior to the attack.

There are currently no suspects in custody. Anyone with information on the assault is asked to contact the Northampton Department of Public Safety by calling (413) 585-2490 or dialing 800 on any Five College campus phone.

According to RAINN, the Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network, approximately 73 percent of rape victims know their attackers, as the Smith College student did. About one in six women and one in 33 men will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime. College age woman are also four times more likely to be sexually assaulted.

In cases of sexual assault Smith College asks that asks that students follow five steps; get to a safe place, tell someone, get medical attention and report it. Once in a safe place, call the public safety office when on campus or the local police when off campus. As this is an upsetting situation, if the victim or anyone on campus would like someone to talk to they can call student counseling services, student affairs or the Everywoman’s Center. It is highly recommended that after a case of sexual assault students seek medical attention. Medical care can detect injuries, test for sexually transmitted diseases and prevent undesired pregnancies. 

Michelle Williams can be reached at mnwilliams@student.umass.edu.