Demonstrators issue demands at Board of Trustees meeting as Woolridge announces resignation from post of chairman -

UMass men’s basketball shows improvement in 3-point shooting. -

UMass men’s basketball cruises to a victory over Pacific behind a strong second half -

UMass Divest and proponents of sanctuary campus will not be allowed to speak at Board of Trustees meeting -

Former political prisoner to speak on human rights and prison experience -

UMass men’s basketball using late-game situations as learning opportunities for remainder of season -

UMass men’s basketball kicks off Gotham Classic at home against Pacific -

UMass hockey looks to continue recent improvements against Connecticut -

UMass hockey team confident in game plan despite UConn’s constant change in net -

UMass women’s basketball falls apart in the fourth quarter in 71-55 loss to Hofstra -

It’s been a long year -

A return to the collapse of 2008 -

Mindfulness in, and in spite of, a technological age -

Beer, bets and pool: a High Horse unofficial review -

Don’t let winter stop you from running outside -

BREAKING: Train allegedly strikes pedestrian in Amherst -

Campus Climate survey shows strong response -

Jennifer Carlson gives talk on race and gun law enforcement -

Labor Center to receive increased funding from University -

Verdi enforces playing a full 40 minutes as UMass takes on Hofstra -

Cyclist injured on North Pleasant St.

A freshman University of Massachusetts student was hospitalized Tuesday morning after he struck the open door of a parked vehicle with his bicycle while traveling down North Pleasant St. near the Fine Arts Center. 

John Colvin, 18, of North Scituate, Mass. was moving past traffic on his bicycle when a car door swung open, blocking the narrow lane designed for bicyclists. Colvin was brought to Cooley Dickinson hospital in a “conscious and alert” state, according to Deputy Police Chief Patrick Archibald. Cooley Dickinson Hospital was unable to comment on Colvin’s injuries at printing time. 

A passenger was attempting to exit the parked car when the accident occurred. It is unclear who is at fault, according to Archibald, and a UMPD investigation will follow to determine if the passenger of the vehicle will face charges. 

“It is up to the people in the car to use caution,” said Archibald, “and there should have been caution from the bicyclist.” 

The incident occurred while Colvin was traveling in the northbound lane of traffic outside the Fine Arts Center at approximately 10 a.m. in the morning. Colvin was the second cyclist to be struck near the Fine Arts Center on North Pleasant St. in the past year. Last fall, a 19-year-old female cyclist was seriously injured after being struck by an automobile while on the crosswalk leading from Bezanson Recital Hall towards Franklin Dining Commons. 25-year-old graduate student Li Cai was also struck by a motorist and hospitalized while crossing nearby Massachusetts Ave. in front of Isenberg School of Management last October. 

Nick Bush contributed to this report.  

Justin Saglio can be reached at jsaglio@student.umass.edu.
Nick Bush can be reached at nbush@student.umass.edu.