UMass football can’t overcome four third quarter Mississippi State touchdowns, fall 47-35 Saturday -

UMass football’s fourth quarter comeback attempt falls short against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Despite improvement, UMass football still can’t capture first marquee FBS win -

MassPIRG kicks off for the fall semester -

UMass Resistance Studies Initiative hosts activist and author George Lakey -

UMass field hockey readies for tough tests against Stanford, Boston College -

Calling the shots: everything you need to know about the flu vaccine -

UMass assistant Professor speaks about oppression of American Indians -

Astronomy department head hosting sundial and sky-watching event -

UMass football looks to pull off upset against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Comis? Ford? Here’s how I would handle the UMass quarterback situation this weekend against Mississippi State -

An unofficial presidential debate drinking game for the unruly masses -

Stop sweating the small stuff -

In defense of being uncomfortable -

Please go to sleep -

VIDEO – ‘Life in the Dollhouse: Wes Anderson and the Dollhouse Aesthetic’ -

Student struck by car near UMass’ Mullins Center -

President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Nick Rampone anticipate productive year at SGA -

Symposium hosts discussion on safety for journalism students -

Andrew Ford, Ross Comis still battling for UMass football’s starting QB position -

Halloween do-it-yourself tricks and treats

During the long weekend, I took a trip to my hometown of Beverly, Massachusetts. When I got off the highway at my exit, I passed one house that is, regardless of whether or not there is a holiday coming up, always extravagantly decorated with what must be hundreds of dollars worth of tacky Walgreens purchases. This weekend the house was covered in plastic skeletons, phony spider webs, giant felt spiders and the like.

On Monday, my brother Sam and I drove to his friend’s house in Marblehead so I could sit in on their band practice. Driving through Salem, famous for its Halloween celebrations, I saw another house decorated much like the one just off the highway, only much more carelessly. There were ropes hanging loosely over the driveway, giant felt bats hanging from them, and even more fake, cottony spider webs. I was amazed that in a place that goes all-out in every way for Halloween, the people who live there would take the easy way out with CVS décor – they even had a Frankenstein “wacky waving inflatable arm-flailing tube man.“

I started searching the Internet and other retail locations for cool-looking, cheap decorations that I could make myself for my dorm. Walking around campus, it’s always nice to see the little things students have put in their windows for passer-by to see. The only bummer is that candles are not allowed in residence halls, so I couldn’t carve a pumpkin in the traditional way (and keeping one in my dorm room would be problematic because they rot and I never throw anything away). But who needs traditional, right?

One of my favorite ideas that I found in my search for DIY inspiration was the 13-hour clock. The project is easy; find a cheap clock (Target has a nice selection), unscrew, or otherwise unfasten, its face, take off the piece of paper that has the numbers of hours on it, and draw the new numbers on its opposite side, using a giant number 13 instead of the usual 12. After creating your new, hopefully spooky-looking letters (this is Halloween you’re decorating for), screw the cover back on and hang it up.

The easiest decoration I found was a spider web weaved on a porch using white yarn. I decided to create my own in the window in my dorm room, using black yarn so it would be more visible. All you need to do is tape two pieces of yarn to whatever frame you’re working with – one horizontally and one vertically. Then, tie a new piece to one of the first and connect it to another with a knot. As you go along, add more support strings (attached to both the frame, in my case a window frame, and the web) and continue to tie yarn to those as well. You can also use clothespins and paperclips to attach photos and other lightweight things to the web, effectively turning it into a much cooler (and spookier!) bulletin board.

You can also go the “alien in a jar” route if you’re into sculpting, using Crayola modeling clay. Just mold the clay into your desired alien shape leaving small indentations for eyes, should you choose to give your creation any. Allow the creature to dry, then bake it in a 375o oven until it’s an even shade of light brown. Then paint it, allow it to dry, and put it in a jar filled with water. To make the water look more like formaldehyde, dye it with food coloring.

Halloween décor is easy to make. It’s fun to show your festivity and excitement for (arguably) the best holiday there is, whether it be through decorations, costumes, or the funky-looking foods you put out at your Halloween party (whatever it is, throw in some doll limbs for an extra creepy effect). You can find a plethora of easy-to-follow tutorials like these at instructables.com. But for everyone’s sake, don’t be generic with your celebration like the-house-off-the-highway. Six-foot-tall plastic skeletons get less scary with each passing year.

Ellie Rulon-Miller can be reached at erulonmi@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Halloween do-it-yourself tricks and treats”
  1. Spooky Mulder says:

Sounds great. If I did not have an electric alarm clock with a stuffed lemur constantly sitting on it, I would definitely make the 13 hour clock.