Amherst residents rally against Dakota pipeline in water ceremony outside TD Bank -

Laura Reed discusses nuclear disarmament under Obama Administration -

SGA President announces opening of vice president position -

Four UMass divers qualify for NCAA Tournament at Bucknell Invitational this weekend -

Top 25 Basketball Notebook: UCLA pulls off major upset over Kentucky -

College football playoff seeds came out Sunday; Alabama gets top seed -

UMass club hockey comes out of travel weekend 1-1-1 -

Notebook: UMass men’s basketball guard Luwane Pipkins among nation’s best in steals -

Listen when you argue to truly understand -

Letter to the Editor: local veterans on Hampshire flag burning -

Standing Rock’s message could save America -

What people’s email signoffs say about them -

Union Square Holiday Market adds to festivities in NYC -

Veterans Advocacy Services cancels event celebrating Hampshire College flag victory -

UMass women’s basketball team can’t recover from sluggish start in 65-55 loss to George Mason -

‘Loving’ is simple, honest and a rare beauty -

Trump’s victory is unsurprising in racist America -

Capitalism must be fixed, not replaced -

Three-point shooting sinks UMass women’s basketball in loss to George Mason -

Use words to describe, not diminish -

Head of the Charles up next for UMass

This weekend, the University of Massachusetts crew team travels 90 miles east on the Massachusetts Turnpike to take part in the Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston, which is the most important race the Minutewomen will compete in this year.

In the biggest race for UMass this weekend, sophomore Julia Richter represents the Minutewomen in the singles race. Richter finished third in her singles race last week at the Head of the Housatonic Regatta in Derby, Conn.

“I’m excited for Julia,” said head coach Jim Dietz. “She is a world class athlete, and has already competed at a world class level.”

UMass will also enter boats in the lightweight eight and open-weight eight. Also, head coach Jim Dietz will race in the Veteran Singles race, and assistant coach Laura Simon will be a coxswain in the Alumni eight.

In the Regatta, the Minutewomen compete against members of some of the most prestigious collegiate crew teams in the country as well as members of some high-profile national rowing teams. Even if UMass comes home without placing in the top three in any race, Dietz still believes the team can gain valuable experience in Boston.

“College kids like ours are going to be able to see the best in the world rowing,” Dietz said. “Granted we’re UMass out of the ‘small Atlantic-10’, the gals are going to be able to see some of the best racers in the world. And if you wanna be the best, you gotta see what the best look like.”

The Head of the Charles Regatta is the largest two-day crew event in the world. Over 7,500 athletes from around the world compete in the 55 events hosted on the Charles.

This weekend’s race marks the 45th annual Head of the Charles, which the Cambridge Boat Club hosts on the river that divides Cambridge from Boston. Last year, the race drew a crowd of 300,000 people to the riverbanks. 

Coach Dietz is happy about his team’s progress so far this fall, but similar to his sentiments after the Head of the Housatonic, he said that this week’s race will be a learning experience.

“I think that the girls have been training really hard,” said Coach Dietz of his team’s mentality. “I think they’re excited to race, but they’re aware that while we’re working hard, this isn’t our season. Our focus is more long-term.”

Even if they come home empty-handed, the UMass rowing team has the opportunity to witness some of the most celebrated rowers in the world converge on the same waters that they will compete in.

Neil Carroll can be reached at nacarrol@student.umass.edu.