UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

UMass researchers receive grant to study effects of exercise

n.exerciseUniversity of Massachusetts researchers have been awarded a grant by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to study physical activity.

The two-year, $985,000 grant was awarded to a team led by Professor Patty Freedson of the Kinesiology Department and John Staudenmeyer, an associate professor with the mathematics and statistics department. The group is developing new techniques to study why sometimes people on the same exercise regimen lose weight at different rates.

Having previously developed a wearable sensor called an accelerometer to measure activity levels, Freedson said that they are going to use this sensor to predict the amount of energy a person uses during an activity.

“When a person walks or runs, the accelerometer is going to measure the acceleration of the center of mass,” she said. “It’s going to look different depending on the type of activity.”

“The data collection is just starting,” Staudenmeyer said in an e-mail, “and all the data collection won’t be in for two years. We won’t have results or conclusions for a while.”

The information from the sensor is analyzed by a neural network – a kind of software that can learn.

“We train the neural network on a set of known data and apply it on a set of unknown data,” Freedson said. “Taking the accelerometer signal, we extract features to develop a pattern, and based on that, it predicts the amount of energy expenditure and identifies activity type.”

According to Freedson, the purpose of the grant is to see how well the neural network can differentiate between activity levels using data collected by two studies. In the first, 15 volunteers will wear both an accelerometer and a pedometer for three weeks. Each person will be assigned different levels of activity for each week, with one week of limited activity and two weeks of more strenuous activity.

“The biggest surprise is that it got funded,” Staudenmeyer said in an e-mail. “We thought it was a strong proposal, but we knew that NIH was only going to fund about 200 out of twenty-one thousand proposals.”

In the second study, 45 volunteers in three groups of 15 will also have different daily activity levels assigned. The groups will also maintain a weekly exercise regimen. One group will be assigned a moderate activity level, another a higher level, while the third will be the control group and be assigned a sedentary level. The study will last 12 weeks. 

The conventional explanation for the different weight loss patterns is that they are caused by genetics, but the research group believes that there could be an alternate explanation.

“We predict that a person who sat around a lot will respond more poorly to training than a person who moves around a lot,” said Freedson.

The NIH grant money is part of the stimulus package provided by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act

Along with Freedson and Staudenmayer, the group contains Associate Professor Barry Braun and two Kinesiology graduate students, Kate Lyden and Sarah Kozey.

“We’re also hiring some people to work on this project,” Freedson said. “We’re creating jobs.”

Matthew M. Robare can be reached at mrobare@student.umass.edu