Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

Amherst Police launch Public Safety 911 Education Program

On Sunday, the Amherst Police Department announced that it would continue its Public Safety 911 Education Program, now in its third year.

Emergency dispatchers from the Amherst Public Safety Emergency Communications Center will be participating in the Amherst Fire Department’s which helps teach young Amherst residents the dos and dont’s of calling 911.

The month-long program will end with the 911 awareness activities, planned for the end of October. The 911 instruction hopes to provide students with pertinent information on how to responsibly and correctly make use of 911 emergency resources, including teaching them what to say if they ever do need to make an emergency call.

Additionally, the students will get the chance to practice dialing 911 using a phone prop allowing the dispatchers and students to simulate an emergency call to review the situations the students had learned.

Though the SAFE program began in 1996 and was designed to teach citizens of all ages, it was not implemented in Amherst until 2007, when dispatchers Jason Rushford and Carly Kinnas brought it here.

The two dispatchers have presented the program at various local community centers, including the Amherst Fire Department’s open house, the Bangs Community Center flu clinic, and at the Amherst Seniors and Law Enforcement Together (SALT) program.
More information on the program is available by calling the Emergency Communications Center at (413) 259-3000. The program is funded by a community policing grant from the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security.

Sam Butterfield can be reached at sbutterfield@dailycollegian.com.