Candlelight vigil held to mourn deaths of victims of police violence -

UMass hosts William A. Douglass for lecture and chair in Basque cultural studies -

Amherst Select Board discusses imposing fines on those who violate water usage ban -

UMass tennis opens season on high note with performance at Brown Invitational -

UMass women’s soccer using long break to prepare for Atlantic 10 play -

Notebook: Ford ‘takes step forward,’ Williams appears on SportsCenter -

UMass cross country and track and field coach Ken O’Brien hits half century mark with program -

A-10 soccer notebook: Duquesne shuts out Robert Morris 1-0 to win fourth straight -

The blue light situation: When is enough, enough? -

Survivor; awesome yet evil -

A ‘Mirror’ into Clinton’s campaign -

UMass a cappella groups S#arp Attitude and The Hexachord’s on ‘Sing It On’ television series -

‘Through the Photographer’s Eyes’ exhibit highlights photojournalism in today’s media -

Designer collaborations steal the show at New York Fashion Week SS17 -

Massachusetts drought heavily impacts local agriculture -

UMass Soccer earns second win of season in 3-2 victory over Hartford -

‘Morris from America’ explores teen angst and the struggles of growing up -

‘Hell or High Water’ an intense, morally ambiguous modern Western -

Read: You won’t regret it -

UMass field hockey hangs tough, falls to No. 18 Stanford -

Letters to the editor: October 22, 2009

Zombies not looking to impress anyone

RE: “Chill out, HvZ players;” Dan Rahrig, October 20

Dear Editor,

In response to Dan Rahrig’s piece about Humans vs. Zombies players looking childish, I must say that I am not trying to impress anyone, including Dan Rahrig. I stopped caring what others thought of me many years ago; there will always be people who dislike or disapprove of me for one reason or another.

As for its alleged annoyance to others, I must say that I have encountered quite the contrary reaction. There has not been a day that has passed during which I have not been approached by genuinely intrigued students and professors asking me to explain the game to them. Indeed, during the ambushes I have been subjected to, I have noticed many a bystander watching the epic battles with rapt attention. Even the prospective students who walked us passed at the Student Union with smiles on their faces were probably happy to find out that there were activities to break the monotony of studying.

I leave you readers with this last opinion. HvZ is a great week and a half of reckless abandonment, and is a fun way to relieve some of the stresses of college life. It also doubles as way to bring people together who otherwise probably would never have met due to the enormity of our school.

And by the way Dan, our chant goes: “What do we want? Brains! When do we want them? Brains!”

Nicholas Katz

UMass Student

Where’s the paper?

Dear Editor,

I arrived early to campus on Friday, so I had some time to kill before my first class. After vigorously hitting the refresh button numerous time on every web forum I could think of, I decided to read “The Collegian.” I walked into the Marcus Atrium to grab a copy, but there were none to be found. Luckily, my class was in Lederle, so, after perilously making my way through the death trap that is New Dirt, I made it to the lobby of LGRC. Much to my dismay, instead of copies of “The Collegian,” the lobby was littered only with those advertisement inserts that nobody cares about. I then proceeded to the LGRC Addition, where, unsurprisingly, I could only find a couple week-old copies. I was now on a mission. I made my way up to Worcester Dining Commons, where I finally found a copy of “The Collegian.” It was at that point that I realized the DC also carries “The Boston Globe,” so I decided to take a copy of that instead. My decision was in vain, though, seeing as by the time I made it back to LGRC I was late for my class.

So, I have to ask, why isn’t “The Collegian” being distributed? I have my own suspicions, but they involve the worth of the paper stock decreasing after the Collegian’s been printed on it. Why are there no copies of “The Collegian” in Marcus? Or LGRC? For that matter, why are there none in North? Last year, I was able to pick up a copy every morning when I left my apartment. I would suspect you’re trying to reduce waste by reducing circulation, but that doesn’t mean you should go from delivering palettes to North one year to delivering none the next.

Alan R Levin

UMass Student