UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Adams can spark a deeper offense

When the Massachusetts’ women’s soccer team welcomed Atlantic 10 rival Rhode Island to Rudd Field last Thursday, the aches of a four-game losing streak were not welcome.

Mired by inconsistent offense, the Minutewomen were desperate to break their losing streak to a Rams team low in the A-10 standings. There are many ways to win a soccer game, but so far, UMass only knows one – little offense, big defense.

Coming into the game, redshirt junior Sydney Stoll and junior Therese Smith accounted for the large majority of goals scored for the Minutewomen, while the goalkeeping duo of senior Lauren Luckey and freshman Emily Cota accounted for the small goals-against average statistic.

If the Minutewomen want to make it to the A-10 tournament, they’re going to have to find new ways to win games. The 3-2 victory over Rhode Island provided some insight as to what UMass could do if different players joined the scoring.

“We could definitely win more games,” UMass coach Angela Napoli said. “It would take more pressure off of Smith and Syd and opponents would be forced to focus on other players.”

The three goals were the most scored by the Minutewomen in 14 games this season, a fact that haunts their chances of making a run in the A-10 Tournament. An increase on the lowly 0.86 goals per game average statistic can come only if different players find ways to create goals.

Senior forward Cristina Adams entered the game with no goals or points, and finished the game with two goals and four points. Smith’s game-winner with less than five minutes left in regulation could not have come if not for Adams’ performance. It was Adams’ first multi-goal effort in her career as it also set her new career high in points. On Monday, Adams was named A-10 Co-Player of the Week.

“We’re not sure if Adams will get the start our next game against Xavier,” Napoli said. “If not, she will definitely be number one or two off the bench.”

If other players can follow in Adams’ footsteps, there’s not telling what the Minutewomen are capable of. A balanced attack coupled with a strong defense is the generic formula for winning teams; now it’s just a matter of execution.
Freshman is fixture in goal

The Minutewomen started the season splitting games down the middle between senior Lauren Luckey and freshman Emily Cota. A game against Duquesne in late September changed that, when Cota got her first collegiate start and delivered a shutout win. Since then, the freshman has started every game, recording over 915 minutes, a 1.87 goals-against average, a 0.776 save percentage and a 3-6-2 record. Some of those stats are skewed a bit due to back-to-back 4-0 losses the Minutewomen suffered at the hands of Saint Louis and Charlotte. In both games, Cota still recorded double-digit saves.

The young freshman has shown that she has the ability to make saves in critical moments. Napoli said earlier this season that her youth and lack of experience could be the reason for her calm demeanor, as her main concern is to just keep her team in the game.

“We have three very solid goalkeepers and that keeps us in games,” Napoli said. “If we don’t have a great offensive game our goalkeeping can sneak us wins. Without them we would not be in contention for a tournament spot.”

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.