Amherst residents rally against Dakota pipeline in water ceremony outside TD Bank -

Laura Reed discusses nuclear disarmament under Obama Administration -

SGA President announces opening of vice president position -

Four UMass divers qualify for NCAA Tournament at Bucknell Invitational this weekend -

Top 25 Basketball Notebook: UCLA pulls off major upset over Kentucky -

College football playoff seeds came out Sunday; Alabama gets top seed -

UMass club hockey comes out of travel weekend 1-1-1 -

Notebook: UMass men’s basketball guard Luwane Pipkins among nation’s best in steals -

Listen when you argue to truly understand -

Letter to the Editor: local veterans on Hampshire flag burning -

Standing Rock’s message could save America -

What people’s email signoffs say about them -

Union Square Holiday Market adds to festivities in NYC -

Veterans Advocacy Services cancels event celebrating Hampshire College flag victory -

UMass women’s basketball team can’t recover from sluggish start in 65-55 loss to George Mason -

‘Loving’ is simple, honest and a rare beauty -

Trump’s victory is unsurprising in racist America -

Capitalism must be fixed, not replaced -

Three-point shooting sinks UMass women’s basketball in loss to George Mason -

Use words to describe, not diminish -

Minutemen Swimming/Diving to take on Army

The Massachusetts swimming and diving teams travel to Westpoint, New York this weekend to compete in a dual meet against Army.

The Minutemen are coming off a victory against a strong Boston University program last weekend, and hope to carry that momentum in their next matchup.

UMass edged the Terriors by a score of 153-147 in front of a spirited home crowd. It did so by winning the last event of the day, the 200 yard freestyle.

Before the season started, UMass men’s coach Russ Yarworth felt confident of this weekend’s race versus Army.

“We beat them last year so we know that they are going to be locked and loaded for us,” Yarworth said.

The Minutemen played at home last year but will now meet BU at Crandall pool. Both teams put together strong performances and emerged victorious against a strong Army program.

It marked the first time that the Minutemen defeated Army, as they won 12-of-16 events to outscore them 174-126. The team received strong efforts from Jason Cooke who won all three diving events.

The Minutewomen also had a dominant performance in last year’s meet in which they took 14-of-16 events won, 187-94.

Senior co-captain Elizabeth Walsh was one Minutewomen who turned in a strong performance in last year’s meet, placing first in two events. With a time of 1:50:01 she finished first in the 100-yard backstroke. She followed up that win with a 2:10:03 in the 200-yard backstroke, which earned her first place.

The Minutewomen hope to rebound after opening the season with a loss against Boston University. Before the start of the season, UMass women’s coach Bob Newcomb expressed his eagerness to see how his freshmen would perform in last week’s opener.

Freshman Amina Meho from Burlington, Mass responded well as she placed first in the 100-yard freestyle. Freshman Molly Ekins opened up her collegiate diving career with third place performance behind teammate Hannah Swift, in the 1-yard diving competition.

This weekend, however will mark the team’s first race of the season in unfamiliar territory. It has been training in John Rodgers Pool since the beginning of the year.

Army is coming off a strong showing in the Syracuse Invitational last Friday. Although the race was a non-scoring event, the team received many solid performances including one from Lindsey Adao that earned her the award of Patriot League Diver of the week.

Jeffrey Engmann can be reached via email at jengmann@student.umass.edu