UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Neighborhood deli butters up the locals

CoffeeAndCookiesBlacksheep

(Courtesy blacksheepdeli.com)

As you first walk up to The Black Sheep Deli, you feel invited by its little hole-in-the-wall nature and its charming atmosphere. With shelves of bakery items displayed neatly in the windows and a crowd of customers waiting to indulge in one, or a few of the many delicious items on the menu, the place exudes Amherst.

Black Sheep bakes all their own breads and pastries, using all natural ingredients and real butter; they also offer a variety of side dishes made fresh daily. The Caramelized Cauliflower with garlic, olive oil and parmesan is a great and healthy alternative to some of the heavier, yet equally delicious sides like Potatoes Dauphinoise, a potato dish layered with garlic, nutmeg, asiago cheese and cream.  Deep dish quiches and macaroni and cheese are just two of the heartier entrees offered there.

From the specialty sandwiches (3.95/half, 7.95/full) to the incredible selection of bakery items (as well as many other things) there is guaranteed to be something on the menu for everyone at Black Sheep. The establishment also offers catering services with a wide selection of choices fit to please every palate.

When you go, be sure to try the ”European,” a specialty sandwich which is chock full of black forest ham, brie, tomatoes, lettuce and red onions, all on pumpernickel bread. For a vegetarian option, the “Great Garlic” is to die for. Take a French baguette, spread it with a layer of incredibly creamy local goat cheese, then spread on whole caramelized garlic cloves, grilled portobellos, roasted red peppers and lettuce.

Black Sheep also offers patrons the opportunity to design their own sandwiches, choosing from an array of freshly-baked breads and fillings at half sandwich and whole sandwich prices. And don’t worry – if there’s an ingredient on a specialty sandwich that you don’t like, or if you want it all just on a different type of bread, the folks at Black Sheep are happy and willing to make any and all alterations to ensure you enjoy each savory bite.

If you’re in the mood for something a little dangerous, opt for the Bittersweet Chocolate Espresso Torte, a melt-in-your-mouth, flourless chocolate treat with a hint of espresso flavor that is covered in seasonal fruit (raspberries are the best) and home-made whipped cream. The great part about the cakes and pastries is that they can be bought as whole cakes for events like parties, or individually by the slice.

A variety of iced teas and natural juices and soft drinks are on hand at Black Sheep to wash it all down and, if in the winter months you’re looking for something to warm you up, they also carry a wide selection of freshly roasted coffees, various teas, as well as Chai and mulled cider.

Black Sheep can get very busy around lunch time, being nestled right in the heart of downtown Amherst between two colleges, so plan ahead if you only have a certain amount of time for a lunch break. If this is the case, you can call in your order ahead of time, and they will make it for you and have it ready as soon as you set foot in the door.

If you’re looking for a great place to eat, with an eclectic environment and a sprawling menu filled with only the best in homemade and local ingredients, the Black Sheep Deli is a local must.

Alex Tillotson can be reached at atillots@student.umass.edu.