Candlelight vigil held to mourn deaths of victims of police violence -

UMass hosts William A. Douglass for lecture and chair in Basque cultural studies -

Amherst Select Board discusses imposing fines on those who violate water usage ban -

UMass tennis opens season on high note with performance at Brown Invitational -

UMass women’s soccer using long break to prepare for Atlantic 10 play -

Notebook: Ford ‘takes step forward,’ Williams appears on SportsCenter -

UMass cross country and track and field coach Ken O’Brien hits half century mark with program -

A-10 soccer notebook: Duquesne shuts out Robert Morris 1-0 to win fourth straight -

The blue light situation: When is enough, enough? -

Survivor; awesome yet evil -

A ‘Mirror’ into Clinton’s campaign -

UMass a cappella groups S#arp Attitude and The Hexachord’s on ‘Sing It On’ television series -

‘Through the Photographer’s Eyes’ exhibit highlights photojournalism in today’s media -

Designer collaborations steal the show at New York Fashion Week SS17 -

Massachusetts drought heavily impacts local agriculture -

UMass Soccer earns second win of season in 3-2 victory over Hartford -

‘Morris from America’ explores teen angst and the struggles of growing up -

‘Hell or High Water’ an intense, morally ambiguous modern Western -

UMass field hockey hangs tough, falls to No. 18 Stanford -

Read: You won’t regret it -

SJU gets back to winning

The Saint Joseph’s field hockey team got back in the win column on Sunday with a 3-1 victory at conference rival West Chester.

The Hawks (6-8, 3-1 Atlantic 10) got the scoring started on a penalty corner about 10 minutes into the game. Senior Anne Schreuders put the ball in play to sophomore Teresa Testa who put the ball in the goal to give St. Joe’s a 1-0 lead. It was Testa’s second-consecutive game with a goal.

About mid-way through the first half, Testa set up another Hawks goal when she passed the ball to junior Hannah Rodgers, who finished the play to extend her team’s lead to 2-0. With eight minutes, 46 seconds left in the first half, Hawks senior Kellie Walter tallied an unassisted goal to give her team a 3-0 advantage.

West Chester (8-9, 3-2 A-10) got on the board with five minutes left in the half when Alyssa Gallen got a shot past Hawks keeper Kelley Swanick to make the score 3-1. Swanick made three saves on the day for St. Joseph’s while West Chester keeper Joelle Zarefoss finished with four.

Temple wins at home against La Salle

Temple’s Bridget Settles scored the only goal of the game against La Salle at about the 10 minute mark of the second half to ensure a 1-0 victory.

With the win, the Owls (6-11, 2-2 A-10) are currently in fourth place in the conference with the tournament right around the corner.

The teams played to a stalemate in the first half, and neither generated much in the way of offense as the play was highly concentrated around the center third of the field. The Explorers had the only penalty corner of the frame but couldn’t capitalize on the opportunity.

The Owls cracked La Salle goalie Emma Ruth early in the second half on a penalty corner of their own.

Off the inbounds pass, senior Mandi Ruth stopped the ball at the top of the circle for fellow senior Charlise Young. The midfielder opted for another pass over a shot and dished the ball to Settles who fired a shot home that deflected off the goalie. Solid defense won out for both teams for the remainder for the game as it ended in a 1-0 decision.

Drew Morrison can be reached at ajmorris@student.umass.edu.