Rashaan Holloway one of the few bright spots in UMass men’s basketball’s loss to Providence -

In a game riddled with mistakes, UMass men’s basketball falls to Providence -

UMass men’s basketball struggles to slow down Rodney Bullock in second half in loss to Providence -

Captain Steve Iacobellis scores, but UMass hockey can’t find its offensive rhythm in 3-1 loss to UConn -

Minutemen can’t get offense going early in 3-1 loss at Connecticut -

Demonstrators issue demands at Board of Trustees meeting as Woolridge announces resignation from post of chairman -

UMass men’s basketball shows improvement in 3-point shooting. -

UMass men’s basketball cruises to a victory over Pacific behind a strong second half -

UMass Divest and proponents of sanctuary campus will not be allowed to speak at Board of Trustees meeting -

Former political prisoner to speak on human rights and prison experience -

UMass men’s basketball using late-game situations as learning opportunities for remainder of season -

UMass men’s basketball kicks off Gotham Classic at home against Pacific -

UMass hockey looks to continue recent improvements against Connecticut -

UMass hockey team confident in game plan despite UConn’s constant change in net -

UMass women’s basketball falls apart in the fourth quarter in 71-55 loss to Hofstra -

It’s been a long year -

A return to the collapse of 2008 -

Mindfulness in, and in spite of, a technological age -

Beer, bets and pool: a High Horse unofficial review -

Don’t let winter stop you from running outside -

Kellogg introduces Minutemen at Super Sunday

By the end of Super Sunday, Derek Kellogg wanted fans to become familiar with a team that has more fresh faces than veterans. The Massachusetts men’s basketball coach used every chance possible to make sure that happened.

After the entire team was introduced, the Minutemen went into layup lines as Kellogg went into details about each one of his players. He commented on his expectations or explained a little bit about their backgrounds.

Kellogg stressed that he felt UMass wasn’t only going to be a good basketball team, but also a team who would make the surrounding community proud.

“When you see them on campus and when you see them on the community, they really are a great bunch of guys,” Kellogg said during his opening speech.

The afternoon also featured a dunk contest, which ended when freshman Raphiael Putney landed a dunk over a hunched over Javorn Farrell to beat out guard Freddie Riley.

Unlike Midnight Madness from previous years, the Minutemen held a competitive 20 minute scrimmage as Kellogg instructed his players on the microphone and at the same time tried to interact with the fans.

Kellogg made jokes about his players making mistakes, but also praised their work ethic and willingness to improve.

“What I know is I have is a great bunch of [players] who are working hard and really they’re trying to do anything I ask them to do, which is all you can ask of a team,” Kellogg said. “Now I have got to continue to push them and get them better.”

As much as he is encouraged about his team for the upcoming year, he knows that even a closed scrimmage yesterday against Boston University was more of an indicator than he’s had so far of how good UMass will be.

Out of 15 players currently on the roster, eight of them have never put on a uniform for the Minutemen. Another one (Trey Lang) hasn’t played a Division I college basketball game since the 2007-08 season.

“I really don’t know how good we are yet,” Kellogg said. “We haven’t been able to play against anyone besides ourselves.”

The first time the 2009-10 Minutemen step on the court will be on Saturday against Dowling, although they don’t start the regular season until Friday Nov. 13 against Central Florida.   

Adam Miller can be reached at amiller@dailycollegian.com.