UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Kellogg still figuring out where new players fit

Massachusetts men’s basketball coach Derek Kellogg knows the talent the seven players he recruited as transfers and freshmen possess. What he doesn’t know is how they will fit in with the 2009-10 Minutemen 10 days before the regular season opener against Central Florida.

UMass had a closed scrimmage against Boston University scheduled for Saturday, but several Terriers came down with the flu, and Kellogg canceled it as a precaution. He is now looking for another team to scrimmage on Thursday before the Minutemen host Dowling at home on Saturday.

There are nine players who never played a minute of Division I basketball, and the remaining six, who played for UMass last season, also leave a bit of a question mark because Kellogg knows there has been improvement. He just doesn’t know how much improvement they’ve had.

“It’s been fun coaching them, but the tough thing for me is I’m not sure where we are right now because we haven’t played anyone besides ourselves. That’s pretty difficult,” Kellogg said.

He knows that guard Ricky Harris is going to lead the team because of his senior leadership skills and what he brings to the court. Redshirt junior Anthony Gurley and sophomore David Gibbs have made substantial improvements under Kellogg’s eyes, and are going to play major roles for the Minutemen this season.

As important as they’ll be to UMass, all three players aren’t necessarily going to start unless Kellogg feels that they give the Minutemen the best chance to win.

“I’m not sure if that combination (Harris, Gibbs and Gurley) is definitely conducive to winning the game,” Kellogg said. “They have played better and are getting better together, but I need to play another team to get a gauge on who’s going to be starting and who’s going to be playing most of the minutes.”

Kellogg expects to go 10 or 11 deep this season and believes that he has a better team than last year, but he’s still unsure about which combination of players works best.

Along with mixing and matching different lineups, Kellogg has to get most of his team accustomed to playing at the speed and intensity level that comes with playing Division I basketball, especially with a schedule as tough as the Minutemen’s.

Later in the season, Kellogg hopes to implement a full-court press, but that can’t happen until the half-court defense is high enough for his standards. Early in the year, he expects that there will be plenty of mistakes and will have to be patient with his young team, but he also believes it can be successful later on in the year and improve on last year’s record.

“I’m not trying to push them too far until we’ve mastered the basics,” Kellogg said. “I think we still have a lot of work to do in mastering the basics.”

Adam Miller can be reached at amiller@dailycollegian.com.