Freshman Brandso seeing time after walking on to team

The Massachusetts men’s soccer team has nine freshmen on its 2009 roster, including freshman Morgan Brandso, a walk-on midfielder and defender. Brandso earned his first collegiate start on defense along with fellow freshman Dominic Skrajewski on Nov. 1 in a 1-0 loss against St. Bonaventure, after playing in five games so far this season.

“I was really nervous and shaking, but once you get out there, I felt a little better,” Brandso said.

He has recorded two shots, including one shot on goal in five games so far this season.

UMass (6-6-3, 3-4-0 Atlantic 10) coach Sam Koch has been impressed with Brandso’s play thus far, and will look for him to contribute against Richmond and George Washington this weekend. The Minutemen hope to get back to the conference tournament with back-to-back wins against the Spiders and Colonials.

“He’s been great, [and] his attitude has been tremendous from day one,” Koch said. “He’s been a great addition to the team, and when we had to play him as a right back, he did very well.”

Brandso, a Dartmouth, Mass. native, was a standout at Dartmouth High School, and was named Most Valuable Player in both his junior and senior years while recording 17 goals and three assists in 2008. After coming to UMass and impressing UMass coach Sam Koch this summer, he was given a roster spot, but was not promised anything.  

“I walked on and barely made the team, and I was probably going to redshirt this year, and then coach gave me a chance,” Brandso said.  “I’ve been working hard in practice, listening to the upperclassmen because they know better than me, and they know what to do, so I just listen to them. I’ve gotten some playing time here and there, and I’m just happy to be here.”

While seeing most of his time at midfield this season, Brandso dropped back and helped a strong Minutemen defense allow just one goal against an impressive Bonnies team. Skrajewski as well as Mark Dangleis, Andrew Henshaw and David Key were strong in containing the scoring attack, but UMass could not capitalize on some scoring chances by midfielder Ben Arikian and Chris Roswess on Sunday.

“Every week, we work really hard in practice, and it’s just the small stuff we need to work on, like taking shots and putting in the effort,” Brandso said. “It was a tough game, and I thought they outhustled us, and they’re a very good team.”

Along with Skrajewski and Brandso, freshmen midfielders Brodie Steigerwald and Tyler Brown have seen their minutes increase, especially with senior forward Mark DeSantis’s absence during the first few weeks of A-10 play. DeSantis returned to the pitch this weekend off the bench, and contributed to many offensive opportunities for the Minutemen. As for the freshmen, Koch feels that they have gotten up to speed and know what is expected of them, especially Brandso.

“They’ve worked hard in training, and they deserve some playing time. We’re not scoring a lot of goals, and we’re trying to get some guys in there, and I think Morgan has a good opportunity,” Koch said last week.

David Brinch can be reached at [email protected].