Environmental journalists face challenges under Trump administration -

An open letter to the students of UMass -

Pat Kelsey informs UMass AD Ryan Bamford of change of heart just 35 minutes before scheduled press conference -

Past and present UMass football players participate in 2017 Pro Day Thursday -

Pat Kelsey reportedly backs down from UMass men’s basketball coaching position -

Students react to new fence around Townehouses -

‘Do You Have The Right To Do Drugs?’ debate held in Bowker Auditorium -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to build on three-game winning streak against Brown -

UMass softball riding five-game win streak into first Atlantic 10 showdown -

Sanzo: Inability to win close games has hurt UMass baseball -

Hannah Murphy scores 100th career goal in UMass women’s lacrosse 16-9 win over Harvard -

Old age does no harm to indie rock legends The Feelies -

A track-by-track breakdown of Drake’s new project -

When a president lies -

Let them eat steak, and other gender norms I hate -

Dissecting Science: Episode Two -

Holy Cross 10-run eighth inning sinks UMass baseball -

UMass students react to Spring Concert lineup -

Letter: Vote yes for Amherst -

You don’t have to walk alone -

Fab(ricated) Four to play Noho

Woodstock may be a page in a history book, but the sixties will live on this Saturday night when 1964 The Tribute recreates the sounds and styles of the Beatles at Calvin Theater in Northampton.

Named the “best Beatles tribute band in the world” by Rolling Stone Magazine, the Ohio-based 1964 The Tribute has been performing covers of the Beatles for more than 35 years. Their performance celebrates and commemorates the impact of the Beatles on rock and pop music.

What distinguishes 1964 The Tribute from other Beatles tribute bands is its concentration on the Beatles’ early work. The majority of its songs are from albums predating the Beatles 1964 World Tour. So don’t expect “Sgt. Pepper” or “Abbey Road.” Rather, its set lists covers a large selection of lesser known songs such as “Please Please Me,” “With the Beatles,” “A Hard Day’s Night” and “Beatles for Sale.”

By concentrating on music from the Beatles’ early years, 1964 The Tribute seeks to recreate the touring atmosphere from the Beatles’ first arrival in the U.S. in 1964. The ages of the band members, all seasoned musicians in their middle life, contributes to the quality of their imitation without detracting from the illusion of their performance. The American-born performers have mastered the vocal and physical inflections of the Beatles, recreating the Fab Four in every respect from their mop-top hairstyles to their Liverpool accents and body language.

In their performance they seek to create an authentic experience of the early Beatles but differ from the original band in terms of sound quality and set length. Using larger speakers than those available to the Beatles in 1964, the band is able to amplify the sound and make it more accessible to the audience. The Tribute also plays longer set lengths than the original band; while the Beatles were known for playing two 30 minute sets and no encores in its early shows, 1964 the Tribute plays 45 minute sets and sometimes encores.

1964 the Tribute was formed in the early 1980s by Mark Benson, a guitarist who portrays John Lennon in the current band. Benson had performed in another Beatles tribute band known as The Revolver. When The Revolver broke up in 1981, Benson recruited musicians Gary Grimes and Tom Work, who portray Paul McCartney and George Harrison respectively. The band began performing in 1982 when Greg George was recruited as Ringo Starr. Greg George was later replaced by Terry Manfredi, who is the current Ringo for the group.

The band has since gone on to perform in concert halls, and at colleges and conventions across the U.S. and Canada. The Tribute has also been featured on Entertainment Tonight, PM Magazine, CNN, The U.S.A. Network, and the Nashville Network and was voted “Contemporary Music Artists of the Year” by the National Association for Campus Activities and “Campus Entertainers of the Year” by the Canadian Association for Campus Activities. The Tribute also appeared in a PBS special of the same name. Their discography includes the “PBS Soundtrack CD”, “All You Need is Live,” and “Nine Hours in November.” Gary Grimes also has a CD of original work titled “Starhand Visions.” 

1964 the Tribute will play at 8 p.m. on Saturday night at the Calvin Theater in Northampton. Tickets run from $25 to $35 and are available online at the Calvin Theater web site.    

Rachel Dougherty can be reached at rdougher@student.umass.edu

5 Responses to “Fab(ricated) Four to play Noho”
  1. Bob Cesare says:

“Revolver… An Echo Of The Dream did not break up in 1981. It was destroyed by three of it’s employees, Benson, Grimes and Work, two of which were also being paid to do Revolver’s booking at the time. They were caught. They were sued. They lost. Try looking up the case “Cesare v Work” on the LexisNexis data base and see for yourself.

2. Name Required says:

Terry Manfredi (Ringo) is in jail and is no longer playing Ringo.

3. Terry Manfredi says:

Oh my God. Will this never end? Bob’s been ranting about this for 30 years. That was 30 years ago. 30. And here he is, including me, Terry Manfredi, in his rant. Of course, he did it anonymously as “Name Required”, because he’s a jerk. Terribly difficult to work with (so I’ve heard). I was there when 1964 formed. Only as their audio engineer in a supporting role, not a partner. I’ve never had any say in day to day operations for 1964. Yet, he continuously slams me and makes negative posts all over the internet. And I don’t know why. Oh yeah, he’s a jerk! He can’t get along with anybody, and Mark, Gary, and Tom simply quit his band. He could have hired more people and gone on. Why didn’t he? I don’t know either. All I know is, 1964 was sued and lost, but Bob got no judgement that was worth anything. I have no idea what motivates Bob Cesare. I don’t have anything against Bob except his continuing negative posts against me. As a matter of fact, he’s the best Ringo impersonator I’ve ever seen. It was scary. This guy is over 6 feet tall and he made me believe he was Ringo. Bob, leave me alone, leave me out of this. I’ve done nothing to you. For God’s sake, man, get a life.

4. Bob Cesare says:

Hey, Manfredi,
    It wasn’t me who left that post about prison, so I guess that makes you the jerk, so why don’t you get off your pulpit and un-ring that bell that you just rang? You pals didn’t just quit Revolver, they were first out there pretending to be my Revolver and it’s business. Not legal. They stole great thing because they never were able to come up with anything worth a damn on their own. Now they spend the rest of their lives in Beatle Impersonator Hell. It seems that you’re the one that really needs to get his life together, pal, if you have actually spent time in prison. Perhaps other people are pissed at you? I love how you guys slam me with lies and then try back peddle it somehow and you don’t appear the type to apologize. Thanks for the compliment on my drumming, though. You are right about that.