Towson stonewalls UMass men’s lacrosse in CAA Championship; Minutemen season ends after 9-4 loss -

Zach Coleman to join former coach Derek Kellogg at LIU Brooklyn -

UMass men’s lacrosse advances to CAA finals courtesy of Dan Muller’s heroics -

On campus: The liberal assault on free speech -

UMass student struck by car off Commonwealth Avenue Tuesday

A freshman at the University of Massachusetts was struck by a car crossing Commonwealth Avenue Tuesday evening, receiving what authorities described as non-life-threatening injuries.

Deputy Police Chief Patrick Archbald told reporters Wednesday that Allison L. Ingraham, 18, a freshman music major from Belchertown, Mass., was in the middle of a crosswalk near the end of the Mullins Center closest to Southwest walking across towards the new recreation center when she was hit by a southbound vehicle at 6:22 p.m., according to a UMPD report.

The driver of the vehicle in the incident was identified as Kaitlyn E. Medeiros, an 18-year-old from New Bedford. Medeiros has not been charged or issued any citations, but the investigation is ongoing.

Ingraham was transported by the Amherst Fire Department to Northampton’s Cooley-Dickinson Hospital, where she was treated and released.

Medeiros, who was traveling in the left-hand lane and also headed towards Southwest, continued into the crosswalk although, according to reports, other cars had stopped for pedestrians.

Ingraham, who is a member of the UMass Marching Band, appears to have been returning to the academic area of campus from the intramural fields past the recreation center and on the right side of the street.

Commonwealth Avenue and Massachusetts Avenue, both of which are four-lane roads, have appeared problematic for both pedestrians and drivers in recent years. Numerous incidents have occurred in the past along the same strip of road, including an accident in October, 2008, where an Isenberg School of Management graduate student was struck and tossed by a vehicle, and a 1999 accident in which a female student was killed.

-Collegian Staff