UMass football can’t overcome four third quarter Mississippi State touchdowns, fall 47-35 Saturday -

UMass football’s fourth quarter comeback attempt falls short against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Despite improvement, UMass football still can’t capture first marquee FBS win -

MassPIRG kicks off for the fall semester -

UMass Resistance Studies Initiative hosts activist and author George Lakey -

UMass field hockey readies for tough tests against Stanford, Boston College -

Calling the shots: everything you need to know about the flu vaccine -

UMass assistant Professor speaks about oppression of American Indians -

Astronomy department head hosting sundial and sky-watching event -

UMass football looks to pull off upset against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Comis? Ford? Here’s how I would handle the UMass quarterback situation this weekend against Mississippi State -

An unofficial presidential debate drinking game for the unruly masses -

Stop sweating the small stuff -

In defense of being uncomfortable -

Please go to sleep -

VIDEO – ‘Life in the Dollhouse: Wes Anderson and the Dollhouse Aesthetic’ -

Student struck by car near UMass’ Mullins Center -

President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Nick Rampone anticipate productive year at SGA -

Symposium hosts discussion on safety for journalism students -

Andrew Ford, Ross Comis still battling for UMass football’s starting QB position -

Student struck by vehicle while collecting for charity

While he was out collecting donations for the homeless on Halloween night in participation with a MassPirg charity program, a student from the University of Massachusetts was struck by a car on Triangle St. in Amherst at around 7:30 p.m.

James Greene, a UMass senior, was out “trick or canning” for canned food donations on Oct. 31 as part of the “Campaign against Hunger and Homelessness” with his fellow members of the UMass student chapter of MassPirg, a non-profit organization that deals with issues facing Massachusetts residents. Greene had just left the DB Mart and began to cross the street near Bertucci’s restaurant when he was struck by a white sedan. According to Greene, the sedan did not have its headlights on. He added that he also recalled hearing shouts right before he was hit but he did not have enough time to react.

According to authorities, a young woman who was driving in the  white sedan was turning north onto Triangle St. when Greene ran out in front of the car. Authorities added that the woman could not stop in time and yelled to get Greene’s attention. Greene hit the hood of the sedan and broke through the windshield. He remained conscious after being hit while  bystanders immediately called for help. Greene was rushed to Bay State Hospital in Springfield and was later released around 10 p.m. with injuries to his forehead. Lieutenant Robert Young of the Amherst Police Department said that that driver has not received any citations as there was no crosswalk where Greene was trying to get across the street.

According to Greene, he said he was lucky to have escaped with a near clean bill of health.

Though he added, “It was hard to walk on Sunday, and there’s gravel or something embedded in my left foot, which is swollen”.

When asked about the cuts on his forehead, Greene said they “made one hell of a Halloween costume”.

Angela MacGray can be reached at amacgray@student.umass.edu.