UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

UMass falls to eventual A-10 Champion Richmond

fhockAThe Massachusetts field hockey team witnessed its season come to a sudden end as Richmond beat the Minutewomen, 2-1, in overtime of the Atlantic 10 Conference semifinals at Garber Field on Friday afternoon.

“We left it all out there,” UMass coach Justine Sowry said. “I think we were prepared. We were playing well as a team. We certainly had our opportunities. Unfortunately we didn’t come through right at the end.”

With each team playing with only six players in sudden-death overtime, Richmond senior Sarah Blythe-Wood, the leading goal scorer in the A-10, beat three UMass defenders and scored on a breakaway 11 minutes, 19 seconds into overtime to send the Spiders into the championship game.

This came minutes after the Minutewomen appeared to have won the game. Senior forward Cher King appeared to deflect the ball into the Spiders’ goal off a penalty corner. However, the referees ruled that the ball had never hit her stick and nullified the goal.

UMass goalkeeper Alesha Widdall helped keep the Minutewomen in the game by making eight saves, including multiple one-on-one stands against Blythe-Wood in the final minutes of the second half and overtime. Blythe-Wood however, won the final meeting between the two to seal the victory for Richmond.

“She was outstanding,” Sowry said of Widdall. “I know she’s very disappointed in that final goal but she made some outstanding saves and I’m really proud of the way she played today.”

King, shaking off an injury that has plagued her throughout the season, had a major impact in the last game of her collegiate career. She scored the only UMass goal at the seven minute, 33 second mark in the first half, off of an assist from freshman Kim Young, to give UMass an initial 1-0 lead, a lead the Minutewomen took into halftime.

“She’s phenomenal,” Sowry said. “She has such great heart and character. I saw her X-ray yesterday and her kneecap is actually in two pieces. So for her to be playing on that knee the latter half of the season is just inspiring. She’s been a great member of this program.”

The game featured a rematch of last year’s A-10 Championship game as UMass was defending its conference title over Richmond. It had the intensity of a championship game. The competitiveness of each team permeated throughout the match with several players getting carded. Three green cards were handed out as well as a yellow card. Multiple players took shots off of their bodies and had to leave the game temporarily to deal with injuries.

The UMass-Richmond contest was the most competitive game in the tournament as the other two games were each decided by three goals. Richmond went on to beat Temple in the conference championship game, 3-0, on Saturday.

The Minutewomen will dwell on this game for some time but Sowry believes that this loss can help the team as they return next year hungry for another championship.

“I’m really proud of the team,” Sowry said. “We have to learn some lessons from this so we can come back next year and be a better, stronger unit, and bring back the title.”

Pete Vasquez can be reached at pvasquez@student.umass.edu.