Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

Hosting Binghamton, both UMass teams come out with wins

The Massachusetts men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams were victorious this weekend in their home meet versus Binghamton.

The Minutemen won by a score of 171-107. The women were dominant as well, defeating Binghamton, 182-117.

“I think it was a really good team effort. We had a lot of people step up,” UMass women’s coach Bob Newcomb said.

Among those who performed well were freshman Amina Meho, who was able to win the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 1:00:87. Fellow freshman Julie Maygar also emerged with a win in the 1000-yard freestyle.

The women were able to take both the 100 and 200-yard breaststroke events. Junior Jessica Staroseilec earned first place in both the 100 and 200, and her teammates did well to keep up with her. In the 100, Rachel Borden came in second place, and Megan Nowak finished fourth.

Sophomore Hannah Swift earned first place in both the one and three meter diving events. Freshman Michaela Butler performed well, finishing right behind Swift in the one meter diving event.

On the men’s side, there were many strong performances as well.

Sophomore Joey Sbordon had a very strong showing, as he displayed his skills in the freestyle events. Sbordon was able to win the 200, 500 and 1000-yard freestyle events in impressive fashion.

The quartet of Chris Howard, Juan Moliere, Sasan Tehrani and Julian Mckean capped off the day with an attention-grabbing performance in the 200-yard freestyle relay. Moliere’s anchor performance made an impression on his head coach, as he was able finish the last 50 yards in 19.97 seconds.

“The stand out performer was Juan Moliere. He was lights out,” UMass men’s coach Russ Yarworth said. “You don’t see a kid go under 20 seconds in the 50. That’s blistering.”

Moliere also swept the sprints on Saturday, as he put forth dominant performances in the 50 and 100 freestyle meets.

Jason Cook was once again strong on the diving board, as he took first place in the one meter dive. His performance allowed him to remain undefeated in the young season. Adam Duffield also performed well on Saturday, as he came in second place in both the one and three meter events.

“It’s nice to be home in a very loud environment,” Newcomb said.

The energy could be seen from the sideline, as both teams rooted each other on throughout the day. That energy was imitated by a strong crowd that filled the gymnasium, as some alumni came to the meet to support their former team.

The meet also marked the return of Binghamton head coaches Sean Clark and Rueben Rappe to Joseph Rogers Pool. The two coaches are UMass alumni who had great careers as members of the swim team. 

After four dual meets, both the men’s and women’s teams hold a 3-1 record.

Jeffrey Engmann can be reached at jengmann@student.umass.edu.