UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Amherst-Palmer railroad opportunity on track

The Town of Palmer is currently making efforts to reinstate passenger rail service through Palmer,as well as to keep Amtrak, a company that services the town of Amherst, active for economic revitalization.

The town prepared a PowerPoint presentation, which was presented to the Massachusetts Department of Transportation by Palmer representatives. The proposed project is to reinstate a passenger loading station in Palmer.

Palmer, known as “The Town of Seven Railroads” officially ended rail passenger service on April 30, 1971, when, due to bankruptcy, Penn Central Railroad turned over operations to Amtrak, which excluded passenger operations in Palmer.

According to the presentation, which was sponsored by the Palmer Redevelopment Authority, “Rich railroad heritage has left behind an active and pivotal set of rails that serves as the HUB in all directions.”

Amherst currently has passenger loading stations, and the Town of Palmer, according to the representatives, wishes to have one such station in between Amherst and Boston for more convenience to the community and for the ease of access to the surrounding towns and area.

With a revived passenger station, the town’s representatives said they wish to improve Palmer’s economy with possible tourism and better access to public transportation.

As well as the new loading station, several other ideas were proposed, including a parking lot, which would be set at either $5 or $7 per car each day. The lot would be built in the Water Street field and would cost an estimated $400,000 without security.

Another idea was for the creation of the “River Edge Railroad Theme Park”, which would attract more people and provide entertainment for the community. According to the representatives, the Palmer Department of Public Works would be torn down and relocated to a more centralized area to make available land for the amusement park.

According to the railroads’ website, www.sevenrailroads.com, The Palmer Rail Coalition, which consists of local and regional officials whose mission is to restore rail passenger and commuter service at Palmer meets regularly to discuss possibilities that are available.

The Palmer representatives added that the town is also looking into possibilities that the river could be utilized for.

The presentation stated that the project will be beneficial in the long run because there is an estimated short development time and minimal improvements to be made on the station. The town already consists of many railways, most of which are utilized by trains that already pass through.

Since the end of passenger loading in Palmer, the “Steaming Tender” restaurant, located right next to the rail lines, was built, and has been featured on shows like “Good Morning America” and “Phantom Gourmet”.

Although there has been no passenger loading and disembarking, according to the town’s representatives, trains do run through the town and the railroad infrastructure has be maintained by Amtrak, New England Central Railroad, the CSX Corporation and Massachusetts Central Railroad Corporation.

The proposed project has already gained support from several towns, including, Amherst, Ware and Warren, as well as the support of state representative Todd Smola, state Senator Stephen Brewer and Lt. Governor Timothy Murray.

There are several hurdles that the project will encounter, according to Palmer’s representatives, some of which include the budget. The total estimated cost, according to the PowerPoint, would be just under $2 million, which the town would not have the money to be able to finance.

In addition to the proposed ideas, Palmer representatives said the town’s officials have been attempting several other projects to revive their economy, including the proposition to build a Mohegan Sun Casino in the general area off the Mass Pike.

Before any ideas can be followed through, the representatives added, Palmer official’s have to convince Amtrak and Lake Shore Limited that there is potential in stimulating the Western and Central Massachusetts economy, as well as a good amount of revenue to be gained.

There is no word on the future of this project or when it would take place.

Tim Jones can be reached at timothyj@student.umass.edu.