Native American Student Association plans for powwow after travelling to Native Nations Rise March in Washington D.C. -

Black Student Union aims to be a strong voice for the African-American community on UMass’ campus -

UMass Students for Reproductive Justice continue fighting for student rights -

UMass notebook: Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry reportedly interviewed for a second time Monday for men’s basketball head coaching vacancy -

UMass softball anxiously awaits start of conference play with doubleheader against BU looming Thursday. -

UMass baseball gets its long-awaited homecoming Tuesday against Northeastern -

Have you popped your bubble? -

The atrophy of activism: a message for student protesters -

Emmi Beuger’s day off – Interview with Kate Leddy -

Josh Odam spreads succinct messages through Free Negro University clothing line -

Fourteen random ‘treat yourself’ items for $25 and under -

Student Activism Special Issue Preview Video -

Anthropology professor holds lecture on violence and policymaking -

Student Activism Special Issue 2017 -

Congressmen McGovern and Ellison discuss progressive politics under Trump administration on Saturday -

SGA President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Lily Wallace promise to improve assistance to student activists next year -

Editor’s note: UMass works because they do -

The UMass club that is un-beelievable -

Interview with Ghazah Abbasi, Sanctuary Campus Movement organizer -

Association of Diversity in Sport draws competition in FIFA Tournament -

UM to run in NCAA Regional Qualifier

The Massachusetts cross country teams will head to Boston this weekend to compete in the NCAA Regional Qualifier. Both meets will feature some of the top teams in the northeast region, as each team will attempt to earn one of two automatic bids up for grabs this weekend that would solidify their spot in the NCAA championships.

The race on Saturday comes after a two-week layoff for both UMass teams, and men’s coach Ken O’Brien felt that his team utilized it well.

“We’ve had 10 days to this point,” O’Brien said. “It gave us a chance to shake the cobwebs and rest for a few days. And then I thought our team had a real good week of practice.”.

The Minutemen last competed Oct. 31, in the Atlantic 10 Championships, where hard running earned the team a second-place finish. 

Last year, the Minutemen turned in a strong performance at the qualifiers as they placed seventh out of a field of 32 teams. Among those that made significant contributions in last year’s race were seniors Jonathan Pierce and Andrew Mulvaney. Both were top five finishers for the Minutemen. Junior Kevin Johnson was among the top five as well.

Iona won last year’s race, and will look to repeat this weekend.

Both UMass teams are already familiar with the course, as they ran in Boston (Franklin Park) on Oct. 10 when they participated in the New England Championships.

The Minutewomen are also looking to make some noise this weekend. They have been on a late-season surge, in large part due to the improving help of their runners, as well as the instrumental contributions from A-10 Freshman of the Year Courtney Baldwin. The team is coming off perhaps its best performance of the season, where it finished third in the A-10 Championships, the program’s highest finish since 2000. 

This weekend the Minutewomen will look to improve upon the 22nd place finish they earned in last year’s race.

After the A-10 Championships, UMass coach Julie LaFrieniere expressed satisfaction in knowing that her team battled through a course which was extremely muddy and damp. She noted that the course sucked a lot of energy out of her team and expected it to be easier for them to run in this weekend’s race.

However, rainy weather appears to be following UMass. After a relatively sunny week, it is expected to rain both on Friday night, and the entire day on Saturday in Boston. Nevertheless, unless conditions are severe, the race will go on.  

The Minutemen will start their meet at 2:30 p.m., and the women’s race will take place at 3:30 p.m.

Jeffrey Engmann can be reached at jengmann@student.umass.edu.