UMass baseball falls to Boston College in a ‘wasted day’ -

Q&A: Jawad Awan, co-president of the Muslim Student Association -

Rally held outside Joint Ways and Means Committee meeting for tuition and fee freezes -

CEPA brings light to student activism at UMass -

Eco-Rep Program brings leadership and sustainability to the classroom -

From textbook prices to clean energy, MASSPIRG fights for many issues -

Divest UMass proves student activism is alive and well -

UMass men’s lacrosse heads into Colonial Athletic Association play with confidence -

UMass track and field set to perform at CCSU Invitational to open spring season -

UMass women’s lacrosse is riding the hot stick of Hannah Burnett -

UMass women’s lacrosse rides winning streak into A-10 conference play -

‘The Salesman’ is an intense drama that deals with contemporary issues -

People’s Market: Independent, cooperative, ‘radical-minded’ -

We voted and they endure: Trump’s effect on the global community -

Why hasn’t the Equal Rights Amendment been ratified? -

Pay for your own round, Mr. President -

Report: UMass men’s basketball set to hire Matt McCall as next head coach -

Community talks education, immigrants’ rights, climate change with state senators -

Q&A: Khalif Nunnally-Rivera, an advocate for access and affordability for underrepresented students -

Plant-Based Nutrition club promotes healthier, sustainable diets on campus -

PHENOM to hold event describing effects of budget crisis on students

Students, staff and faculty at the University of Massachusetts will hold a teach-in this Thursday, Nov. 19, to discuss the context of the current budget crisis of public higher education in Massachusetts.  

According to a release, The Public Higher Education Network of Massachusetts [PHENOM] encourages all to attend this teach-in in order to support and strengthen the organization’s efforts to win back funding for higher education. The teach-in, titled “Budget Crisis: UMass at the Tipping Point,” will take place from 12-1 p.m. in the Cape Cod Lounge of the UMass Student Union.

“For the first time ever, UMass students now contribute more to the campus budget than the state does?” said Outreach and Education Coordinator of the Student Government Association Sam Dreyfus in a release sent out on Nov. 17. “Can we even still call this public higher education?”

UMass, as well as other state and community colleges in Massachusetts, have lost $62 million in state funding since the Gov. Deval Patrick announced mid-year cuts on Oct. 29, 2009. While this funding is currently being replaced by federal fiscal stimulus funds, PHENOM anticipates the need to advocate for both state and additional federal resources for next year and beyond.

“UMass at the Tipping Point” will include personal statements from each speaker, several of whom are students at UMass, explaining how the budget cut is personally impacting him or her, coming from the perspectives of students, staff and faculty. Moderators will be present to put the stories in context and explain how the current budget trends are potentially leaving the campus administration with few and undesirable choices.

“One of our goals is to demonstrate that we are all in the same boat. Faculty and staff don’t benefit from fee increases, and students are harmed when staff and faculty are on the chopping block,” said Louise Antony, a professor in the philosophy department and member of the statewide board of PHENOM, in the same release sent out on Nov. 17.

Christa Romano can be reached at cromano@student.umass.edu.