UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

Minutewomen look to extend four-game winning streak

The Massachusetts women’s club hockey team looks to continue its four-game winning streak, as they face Rhode Island this weekend. UMass will travel to Brad Boss Arena in Kingston, R.I., to face URI on its home ice.

The Minutewomen (4-2) are coming off a road sweep of Vermont, where they defeated the Catamounts 5-1 Friday and 3-2 Saturday. Generating offense was something UMass struggled with during its first two games of the season, when it only scored two goals. However, the offensive attack is something UMass coach Chris Cobb has been working on in practice, and the results are proof. The Minutewomen outshot UVM 56-37, along with increasing its number of goals scored to 22 in four consecutive wins.

Impressive goaltending was also mentioned by Cobb as a strength on defense. UMass has allowed 11 total goals this season, which is second best in the American Collegiate Hockey Association.

Cobb feels prepared to play against the Rams, whom have been a long time rival of the Minutewomen in the ACHC.

“This is a veteran team that has a lot of seniors,” Cobb said. “We know them well and they know us well.”

URI’s experienced team, consisting of four seniors and six juniors, is ranked No. 5 in the ACHA this season with a 5-3 record. The Rams got off to a shaky start, beginning its season off with three losses to Robert Morris College and Sacred Heart. However, URI appears to have gained momentum with five victories in a row against Colorado State, Buffalo and Ohio State. The Rams are also undefeated at home, something the Minutewomen will work hard to change.

URI is also currently ranked No. 1 in the Eastern Collegiate Hockey League with 12 points, possibly due to a dominating 57 goals for. This is more than double the 22 goals UMass has generated. Penn State is ranked second, followed by the Minutewomen, who have eight points.

“They have an aggressive offense and strong forecheck” Cobb said of URI’s offense.

Rhode Island also boasts three strong offensive threats – Johanna Leskinen, Meghan Birnie and Kayla Robidoux. The players are ranked in the top 10 players of the ACHA with a combined 27 goals.

The Minutewomen do have the advantage on defense with just three goals allowed while playing on the road, something Cobb counts on to counter a strong URI offense. The Minutewomen offense has also performed better while on the road, scoring 14 of its 22 goals while visiting opponents.

UMass finished second in the ECWHL last year, nine points behind the Rams. The two rivals met five times in the 2008-2009 season, where Rhode Island held a 2-1-2 advantage. This was an improvement for the Minutewomen, who lost three games and tied one during the 2007-2008 season.

Cobb looks to the two offensive stars of the season to help out on offense, captain Hayley Kuhn and Angela Rufo. Both players are tied for first place with five points each, and have caught the attention of Cobb with impressive hockey play each week. Kuhn had a pair of goals against the Catamounts and Rufo scored the winning goal during Saturday’s game. Cobb feels opportunities, such as power plays, need to be capitalized on in order to defeat the Rams.

“URI is a very, very good team” Cobb said. “We need to continue generating offense and keep up our strong goaltending.”

Geena Lombardi can be reached at glombard@student.umass.edu.