Native American Student Association plans for powwow after travelling to Native Nations Rise March in Washington D.C. -

Black Student Union aims to be a strong voice for the African-American community on UMass’ campus -

UMass Students for Reproductive Justice continue fighting for student rights -

UMass notebook: Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry reportedly interviewed for a second time Monday for men’s basketball head coaching vacancy -

UMass softball anxiously awaits start of conference play with doubleheader against BU looming Thursday. -

UMass baseball gets its long-awaited homecoming Tuesday against Northeastern -

Have you popped your bubble? -

The atrophy of activism: a message for student protesters -

Emmi Beuger’s day off – Interview with Kate Leddy -

Josh Odam spreads succinct messages through Free Negro University clothing line -

Fourteen random ‘treat yourself’ items for $25 and under -

Student Activism Special Issue Preview Video -

Anthropology professor holds lecture on violence and policymaking -

Student Activism Special Issue 2017 -

Congressmen McGovern and Ellison discuss progressive politics under Trump administration on Saturday -

SGA President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Lily Wallace promise to improve assistance to student activists next year -

Editor’s note: UMass works because they do -

The UMass club that is un-beelievable -

Interview with Ghazah Abbasi, Sanctuary Campus Movement organizer -

Association of Diversity in Sport draws competition in FIFA Tournament -

Charles Simic speaks in University Fine Arts Center as guest in Visiting Writers Series

Thursday night, Charles Simic came to the University of Massachusetts to speak in the Fine Arts Center’s University Gallery as a part of the University’s Visiting Writers Series.

Simic read from his work in the University Gallery to a mix of undergraduate students, graduate students and community members.

His most recent works include “Dark Things,” a translation of Novia Tadic’s poems, and “Monster Loves His Labyrinth: Notebooks.”

Simic has written over 30 books of poetry. He is one of two poets to receive both the Wallace Stevens and the Edgar Allan Poe Award. His work, “The World Doesn’t End,” won a Pulitzer Prize in 1990, and his book “Classic Ballroom Dances” won both the 1980 di Castagnola Award and the Harriet Monroe Poetry Award.

The author participated in a free reading sponsored by the Masters of Fine Arts Program for Poets and Writers and Juniper Initiative.

Past writers have included Dars Wier and Mary Gaitskill. Future events will include Sherman Alexie and Sam Lipsyte speaking about their works.

Born in Belgrade, which at the time was apart of Yugoslavia, Simic grew up in war-torn Europe. He immigrated to the United States in 1954 when he was 16, and lived in Chicago.

Simic received his B.A from New York University. He taught creative writing at University of New Hampshire for 25 years.

Michelle Williams can be reached at mnwillia@student.umass.edu.