UMass men’s soccer look to surprise the Atlantic 10 conference for the second consecutive season -

Third and 20 S2 Episode 8 -

Author, poet and ex-con gives talk on criminal justice reform -

Israeli writer Ari Shavit speaks at Integrative Learning Center -

Alex DeSantis continues strong play for UMass men’s soccer as season reaches midway point -

Andrew Ford looks to continue to lead UMass football’s torrid offensive passing attack -

Sunset Grill and Pizza adjusts as a new restaurant in Amherst -

UMass field hockey falls 8-1 to No. 1 UConn -

Offensive-oriented practices hold high hopes for UMass women’s soccer with A-10 opener Thursday -

Hyper-stress on college campuses: a culture of high achievement leads to increased rates of mental illnesses -

Race of candidates should not affect voter turnout -

Students share what keeps them happy during the fall -

Harvest’s millennial-pandering replacement to Chameleon Cold Brew leaves caffeine fans at a loss -

Guide to fall 5K races and beyond -

UMass Votes Coalition hosts voter registration event -

Brettell presents on U.S. immigration policies -

UMass field hockey team seeks revenge against undefeated UConn -

UMass running back Marquis Young looks to build off momentum gained against Mississippi State -

UMass hockey announces captains for 2016-17 season -

Andy Isabella finds his niche within the UMass football offense -

Charles Simic speaks in University Fine Arts Center as guest in Visiting Writers Series

Thursday night, Charles Simic came to the University of Massachusetts to speak in the Fine Arts Center’s University Gallery as a part of the University’s Visiting Writers Series.

Simic read from his work in the University Gallery to a mix of undergraduate students, graduate students and community members.

His most recent works include “Dark Things,” a translation of Novia Tadic’s poems, and “Monster Loves His Labyrinth: Notebooks.”

Simic has written over 30 books of poetry. He is one of two poets to receive both the Wallace Stevens and the Edgar Allan Poe Award. His work, “The World Doesn’t End,” won a Pulitzer Prize in 1990, and his book “Classic Ballroom Dances” won both the 1980 di Castagnola Award and the Harriet Monroe Poetry Award.

The author participated in a free reading sponsored by the Masters of Fine Arts Program for Poets and Writers and Juniper Initiative.

Past writers have included Dars Wier and Mary Gaitskill. Future events will include Sherman Alexie and Sam Lipsyte speaking about their works.

Born in Belgrade, which at the time was apart of Yugoslavia, Simic grew up in war-torn Europe. He immigrated to the United States in 1954 when he was 16, and lived in Chicago.

Simic received his B.A from New York University. He taught creative writing at University of New Hampshire for 25 years.

Michelle Williams can be reached at mnwillia@student.umass.edu.