UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Bonnies extend winning streak

bonnie webThe St. Bonaventure women’s basketball team defeated Bryant, 66-43, on Sunday afternoon to reach 6-0 for the first time in the history of the program.

The six-game winning streak is the longest since December 2007-08, when the program also won six consecutive games. The run is also the fourth longest in St. Bonaventure history.

With the loss, Bryant drops to 1-4 on the year.

Sophomore Jessica Jenkins led the Bonnies with 15 points on 6-of-11 shooting, including three 3-pointers. Two other St. Bonaventure players were also in double figures, as redshirt sophomore Armelia Horton scored 12 and senior Dana Mitchell added 11.

St. Bonaventure continued their strong defensive play with this game, as they held the Bulldogs to 34 percent shooting from the field and scored 28 points off turnovers.

The Bonnies set team season highs with 13 assists and 11 steals in the contest.

Siamone Bennett led the way for Bryant with 12 points and 6 rebounds, and Lekia Cowen added 10.

Musketeers win Junkaroo Jam

No. 9 Xavier defeated Minnesota, 71-56, on Saturday behind a career-high 19 points from senior forward April Phillips. The victory earned the Musketeers the 2009 Junkanoo Jam Freeport Division title. The Junkanoo Jam is made up of three four-team brackets, including the Freeport Division. Xavier defeated Kansas, TCU and Minnesota to earn the trophy.

Phillips was named Most Valuable Player of the Freeport Division for her strong play. She collected her 500th career rebound in the win.

Junior forward Amber Harris added 12 points, 12 rebounds, three assists, three blocks and four steals in the win, and was named to the Freeport Division All-Tournament Team.

Other major contributors included sophomore guard Tyeasha Moss, who added 15 points and junior center Ta’Shia Phillips, who scored 10 points, snagged eight rebounds and blocked four shots.

Defense was important for the Musketeers, as they held the Gophers to 36 percent shooting from the field and racked up 10 steals.

Forward Ashley Ellis-Milan led Minnesota with 14 points in defeat. Guard Brittany McCoy pulled down eight rebounds and dished out five assists as well.

Xavier is now one win away from tying the 1999-00 team for the best start in school history. Currently, the Musketeers are tied with the 2000-01 and 2006-07 teams for second best start.

Venues announced for 2011 NCAA Tournament

Three Atlantic 10 Conference schools have been chosen to host 2011 NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament games.

The NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Committee announced that Dayton and Temple will hold 2011 NCAA Women’s basketball regionals, while Xavier will host 2011 NCAA Women’s basketball first and second round games.

Dayton University had already been awarded regional games for this season, which will be held on March 28 and 30, 2010.

This will be the third time that a school will host games in repeating years since the tournament began holding regional games at neutral sites. Greensboro hosted successive regionals in 2007 and 2008, and Oklahoma City did the same in 2008 and 2009.

Temple last hosted NCAA Women’s Basketball games in 2005, while early round games will be played at Xavier University this upcoming March.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.