Ray Pigozzi shines in first game back for the UMass hockey team since November 4 -

UMass starts hot, finishes strong in upset win over No. 12 Notre Dame -

SGA vice president will resign at the end of the semester -

Raise the Flag protestors praise -

Dining and Housekeeping employees at Smith College seek new contract -

In response to election, immigration lawyer briefs students on potential changes -

Avinoam Patt discusses the role of displaced Jews in the creation of Israel -

UMass women’s basketball falls to Hartford, snaps three-game winning streak -

Brison Gresham makes long awaited debut for UMass men’s basketball -

UMass hockey hosts No. 12 Notre Dame in Hockey East doubleheader -

UMass men’s basketball picks up fourth straight win as it tops Wagner Wednesday night at Mullins Center -

UMass hockey gets chance to bond during trip to Belfast -

The true backbone of America -

Letter: Craig’s Place to fight against fatal budget cuts -

Enduring the 2016 Tower Run at Du Bois Library -

C.J. Anderson, Malik Hines each have career nights in UMass men’s basketball’s win over Wagner -

Panelists talk about their experiences with incarceration in the Feinberg Lecture Series -

Suzanne Fenton discusses the effects of early life chemical exposure -

Christmas tree farmers discuss effects of New England drought on their harvest -

UMass men’s basketball’s frontcourt looks to build on solid start to season -

Women Studies program celebrates 35 years with panel discussion

This afternoon at 2 p.m., panelists from the University of Massachusetts and Hampshire College will hold a discussion titled “The Master’s Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master’s House.”

The panelists are a part of the Feminist Foundations/Feminist Futures Series, which contains a number of events put on by the UMass women, gender and sexuality studies program to commemorate its 35 years, which has recently been renamed from “women’s studies” after debate and discussion. The change in name took place due to the fact that the field of study encompasses more than the analysis of women; rather, women’s studies focuses on the interlocking formations of gender, race, nationality, ethnicity, class and sexuality.

The Feminist Foundations/Feminist Futures panels and events discuss these changes and topics.

“Every year, the program hosts a series called ‘Feminist Foundations’ which explores the field of women, gender and sexuality studies,” said Banu Subramaniam, associate professor in the UMass women, gender and sexuality studies department.

The series is designed to be a retrospective and reflective exploration of the field, structured around four famous and foundational quotes. One is a quote by Audre Lorde, a legendary black feminist poet and theorist. In her famous essay, “Can the Master’s Tools Dismantle the Master’s House?” she explores questions of change and what is possible in working within systems, using the theories and tools of institutionalized structures of power.

“The Master’s Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master’s House” lecture reflects on feminism and activism since the 1970s when the UMass women’s studies program was created. The panel will include speakers from various Hampshire and UMass departments, including associate professor Alexandrina Deschamps from the UMass women, gender and sexuality studies department, professor Sonia Alvarez from the UMass political science department, Shelly Perdomo, director of diversity programs in the UMass engineering minority program, assistant professor Diana Yoon from the UMass legal studies department and professor Margaret Cerullo from Hampshire College’s school of social sciences.

The event is open to the public and is free admission. It will take place in Bartlett Hall room 61, from 4:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m.

Lisa Linsley can be reached at llinsley@student.umass.edu.