Candlelight vigil held to mourn deaths of victims of police violence -

UMass hosts William A. Douglass for lecture and chair in Basque cultural studies -

Amherst Select Board discusses imposing fines on those who violate water usage ban -

UMass tennis opens season on high note with performance at Brown Invitational -

UMass women’s soccer using long break to prepare for Atlantic 10 play -

Notebook: Ford ‘takes step forward,’ Williams appears on SportsCenter -

UMass cross country and track and field coach Ken O’Brien hits half century mark with program -

A-10 soccer notebook: Duquesne shuts out Robert Morris 1-0 to win fourth straight -

The blue light situation: When is enough, enough? -

Survivor; awesome yet evil -

A ‘Mirror’ into Clinton’s campaign -

UMass a cappella groups S#arp Attitude and The Hexachord’s on ‘Sing It On’ television series -

‘Through the Photographer’s Eyes’ exhibit highlights photojournalism in today’s media -

Designer collaborations steal the show at New York Fashion Week SS17 -

Massachusetts drought heavily impacts local agriculture -

UMass Soccer earns second win of season in 3-2 victory over Hartford -

‘Morris from America’ explores teen angst and the struggles of growing up -

‘Hell or High Water’ an intense, morally ambiguous modern Western -

Read: You won’t regret it -

UMass field hockey hangs tough, falls to No. 18 Stanford -

Women Studies program celebrates 35 years with panel discussion

This afternoon at 2 p.m., panelists from the University of Massachusetts and Hampshire College will hold a discussion titled “The Master’s Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master’s House.”

The panelists are a part of the Feminist Foundations/Feminist Futures Series, which contains a number of events put on by the UMass women, gender and sexuality studies program to commemorate its 35 years, which has recently been renamed from “women’s studies” after debate and discussion. The change in name took place due to the fact that the field of study encompasses more than the analysis of women; rather, women’s studies focuses on the interlocking formations of gender, race, nationality, ethnicity, class and sexuality.

The Feminist Foundations/Feminist Futures panels and events discuss these changes and topics.

“Every year, the program hosts a series called ‘Feminist Foundations’ which explores the field of women, gender and sexuality studies,” said Banu Subramaniam, associate professor in the UMass women, gender and sexuality studies department.

The series is designed to be a retrospective and reflective exploration of the field, structured around four famous and foundational quotes. One is a quote by Audre Lorde, a legendary black feminist poet and theorist. In her famous essay, “Can the Master’s Tools Dismantle the Master’s House?” she explores questions of change and what is possible in working within systems, using the theories and tools of institutionalized structures of power.

“The Master’s Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master’s House” lecture reflects on feminism and activism since the 1970s when the UMass women’s studies program was created. The panel will include speakers from various Hampshire and UMass departments, including associate professor Alexandrina Deschamps from the UMass women, gender and sexuality studies department, professor Sonia Alvarez from the UMass political science department, Shelly Perdomo, director of diversity programs in the UMass engineering minority program, assistant professor Diana Yoon from the UMass legal studies department and professor Margaret Cerullo from Hampshire College’s school of social sciences.

The event is open to the public and is free admission. It will take place in Bartlett Hall room 61, from 4:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m.

Lisa Linsley can be reached at llinsley@student.umass.edu.