Amazon textbook contract ending in December 2018 -

UMass field hockey heads into crucial A-10 matchup -

2017 Hockey Special Issue -

International Relations Club tackles tough issues at ‘Foreign Policy Coffee Hour’ -

Sexual assault reports spike on campus -

Californian students react to wildfires back home -

‘My Little Pony: The Movie’ is a surprising animated treat, whether you’re a fan of the show or not -

With a young team, Carvel is preparing the UMass hockey team to thrive -

Letter: UMass hockey is great, but where are the students? -

Boino’s blast gives UMass men’s soccer sole possession of first place in the Atlantic 10 -

UMass freshmen look to play physical, make an impact and improve early on -

UMass hockey sets out to create new program, identity in 2017-18 -

Cale Makar: UMass hockey’s crown jewel -

Ames: If first four games are any indicator, this UMass hockey season could differ for the better -

Josh Couturier looks to find where he fits within UMass lineup -

The straw man fallacy: missing the point on Indigenous Peoples Day -

Power to the Thin Mint: improve the Girls Scouts program -

‘Blade Runner 2049’ has a lot of ideas that it fails to develop -

Early season challenge awaits for UMass hockey in weekend set with Ohio State -

UMass Professor Barbara Krauthamer receives award from Association of Black Women Historians -

Women Studies program celebrates 35 years with panel discussion

This afternoon at 2 p.m., panelists from the University of Massachusetts and Hampshire College will hold a discussion titled “The Master’s Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master’s House.”

The panelists are a part of the Feminist Foundations/Feminist Futures Series, which contains a number of events put on by the UMass women, gender and sexuality studies program to commemorate its 35 years, which has recently been renamed from “women’s studies” after debate and discussion. The change in name took place due to the fact that the field of study encompasses more than the analysis of women; rather, women’s studies focuses on the interlocking formations of gender, race, nationality, ethnicity, class and sexuality.

The Feminist Foundations/Feminist Futures panels and events discuss these changes and topics.

“Every year, the program hosts a series called ‘Feminist Foundations’ which explores the field of women, gender and sexuality studies,” said Banu Subramaniam, associate professor in the UMass women, gender and sexuality studies department.

The series is designed to be a retrospective and reflective exploration of the field, structured around four famous and foundational quotes. One is a quote by Audre Lorde, a legendary black feminist poet and theorist. In her famous essay, “Can the Master’s Tools Dismantle the Master’s House?” she explores questions of change and what is possible in working within systems, using the theories and tools of institutionalized structures of power.

“The Master’s Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master’s House” lecture reflects on feminism and activism since the 1970s when the UMass women’s studies program was created. The panel will include speakers from various Hampshire and UMass departments, including associate professor Alexandrina Deschamps from the UMass women, gender and sexuality studies department, professor Sonia Alvarez from the UMass political science department, Shelly Perdomo, director of diversity programs in the UMass engineering minority program, assistant professor Diana Yoon from the UMass legal studies department and professor Margaret Cerullo from Hampshire College’s school of social sciences.

The event is open to the public and is free admission. It will take place in Bartlett Hall room 61, from 4:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m.

Lisa Linsley can be reached at llinsley@student.umass.edu.