UMass hockey fails to generate scoring chances in 3-0 loss to Notre Dame Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball shooting woes continue as the Minutemen fall 65-62 to UCF -

Despite poor shooting performance, UMass men’s basketball shows improvement on defensive end -

Notebook: Ty Flowers shines in UMass men’s basketball’s loss to UCF Saturday -

Ray Pigozzi shines in first game back for the UMass hockey team since November 4 -

UMass starts hot, finishes strong in upset win over No. 12 Notre Dame -

SGA vice president will resign at the end of the semester -

Raise the Flag protestors praise -

Dining and Housekeeping employees at Smith College seek new contract -

In response to election, immigration lawyer briefs students on potential changes -

Avinoam Patt discusses the role of displaced Jews in the creation of Israel -

UMass women’s basketball falls to Hartford, snaps three-game winning streak -

Brison Gresham makes long awaited debut for UMass men’s basketball -

UMass hockey hosts No. 12 Notre Dame in Hockey East doubleheader -

UMass men’s basketball picks up fourth straight win as it tops Wagner Wednesday night at Mullins Center -

UMass hockey gets chance to bond during trip to Belfast -

The true backbone of America -

Letter: Craig’s Place to fight against fatal budget cuts -

Enduring the 2016 Tower Run at Du Bois Library -

C.J. Anderson, Malik Hines each have career nights in UMass men’s basketball’s win over Wagner -

Amherst given an A for intelligence

Give yourself a pat on the back if you live in Amherst, you live in one of the 10 smartest college towns in the country – at least according to online news source The Daily Beast.

With one of the highest percentages of adult residents with graduate level degrees, clocking in at 43 percent, Amherst falls into the top echelon of highly educated locales.

The Beast lauded Amherst and the Pioneer Valley at large for its heavy student presence, creating a student-dominated setting conducive to, well, students.

While the Beast’s review gives Chapel Hill, NC and Ann Arbor, Mich., top ranks for their high proportion of educated professors and livability, Amherst does not clock in too far behind, and in fact boasts a higher percentage of residents with graduate degrees, although its population is less than those two cities.

Other municipalities which scored high marks on The Daily Beast review included Boulder, Colo., Cambridge, Mass., Berkeley, Calif., Madison, Wisc., East Lansing, Mich., State College, Pa. and Ames, Iowa.

The site praises Amherst, which checked in at number 10 and scored a grade of B, for having “one of the most significant student populations,” as well as its “five school educational network that dominates the local atmosphere.”

Checking in near the bottom of the list were Athens, Ga., Kent, Ohio, South Bend, In., Norman, Ok., Champaign-Urbana Ill., Lawrence, Ks., College Park, Md., Auburn, Al., and Gainesville, Fl.

The Daily Beast is a news and opinion site published by Tina Brown.

Sam Butterfield can be reached at sbutterfield@dailycollegian.com.

One Response to “Amherst given an A for intelligence”
  1. Ed says:

Folks, “best educated” and “smartest” are NOT the same thing! The distinction is the same between “spent lots of money on fancy clothing/gear” and “gifted athlete.”

If you take the true measures of intelligence, things like ability to (a) apply knowledge to unfamiliar situations/problems, (b) research the knowledge of humanity toward specific ends, and (c) ability to convey knowledge coherently to others unfamiliar with the subject — in all of this, Amherst fails miserably. Go to a meeting of the Amherst Select Board or Amherst Regional School Committee, sure there may be some intelligent people there, but as to the collective IQ of the room, no way….

There are a lot of people in Amherst who think they are quite smart, a lot of them have pieces of paper that say they are, but there are really damn few who really are…