Atkins’ season so great, apples can’t stay on trees -

‘The Next Iron Chef’’s Marc Forgione speaks at UMass -

Record start powers UMass football to 55-20 win over Georgia Southern -

Nashville Predators head coach Peter Laviolette spends off-day in Amherst -

UMass field hockey loses weekend set -

Minutewomen fail to make A-10 tournament, lose to Flyers -

DeSantis penalty kick lifts UMass men’s soccer over Dayton -

Safe spaces and the politics of paranoia -

It’s time to reform RAPs at UMass -

Letter: Hold Clinton accountable for her mistakes -

Destroyer’s ‘ken’ is a perfect median of rock and techno -

Experienced Ohio State club too much for UMass hockey in 3-0 loss -

Season-high 29 saves from Matt Murray proves lone highlight in UMass hockey’s 3-0 shutout loss to Ohio State -

UMass football picks up first win of the season in blowout win over Georgia Southern -

Student in critical condition after pedestrian-vehicle accident on Friday -

UMass women’s soccer fails to secure spot in A-10 tournament with loss to Saint Louis -

Struggles with special teams sinks UMass hockey -

UMass hockey drops second of the year in 3-1 loss to Ohio State -

Amazon textbook contract ending in December 2018 -

UMass field hockey heads into crucial A-10 matchup -

Ricky Harris still affected by ankle injury

mhoopAOne of the questions surrounding the Massachusetts men’s basketball team this season was going to be who could step up if captain Ricky Harris wasn’t having a good game or was injured.

Since Harris’s ankle injury before the game against Grambling State, the Minutemen (7-10, 1-3 Atlantic 10) have needed an answer to that question. While he’s been healthy enough to play in games, he had his second- and third-lowest scoring games of the season against Boston College (12) and Memphis (13).

In those two games, he finished a combined 7-for-27 from the field.

Since the loss to BC, Harris improved his scoring with two 21-point games and a 17-point effort against La Salle. However, his shot is still not as good as it was prior to the injury, specifically from 3-point range.

After missing the game against Grambling, Harris is 5-for-35 from beyond the arc. UMass coach Derek Kellogg believes the health of his team’s leader is between 95 and 100 percent, but is battling issues with his lift and confidence.

Before the Minutemen headed to Richmond, Harris said his inability to jump as high as he usually does is a big reason why his shot is a little flatter.

“My shot hasn’t been falling as I’d like, but I just have got to focus and continue to play hard,” Harris said.

As much as the injury may have plagued Harris during the first part of winter break, Kellogg believes that Harris’s low 3-point percentage may be due to a lack of confidence rather than lingering ankle pain.

“I’m not saying [his injury] is totally why he hasn’t shot the ball well, but I think mentally, it may have had some affect,” Kellogg said. “I have the utmost confidence that when he raises up, [the ball] is going in, and I want him to feel the same way.”

While Harris is trying to get his shot back, some of the Minutemen’s younger players have stepped up. In their win against the Tigers at the TD Garden in Boston, freshman Terrell Vinson finished with 21 points.

Guard Freddie Riley is also starting to pick up some of the production after returning from knee surgery. The freshman is averaging 14 points per game in the last four games. In the games against La Salle (22 points) and Richmond (20 points), he was the team’s leading scorer.

While UMass is 2-5 over winter break, Kellogg is still impressed with the way his freshmen are playing because of how competitive the team’s schedule is.

“You’re talking about five high-level games against very good teams and I think we’ve performed well, which maybe hasn’t shown up in the final score,” Kellogg said. “To have such a young team and play such a tough non-conference schedule, compiled with the way the league’s going, I think it is a little bit of a task for us.”

As Kellogg tries to find other players to take on the scoring load, Harris continues to work during practice in order to regain his confidence back.

Adam Miller can be reached at amiller@dailycollegian.com.