UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Serious car crash sends four people to hospital

A pickup truck and an SUV collided head-on in Amherst Monday night, sending four people to the hospital and causing extensive damage to both vehicles, according to police.

Three of the people involved who were riding together in the SUV are believed to be students at the University of Massachusetts, according to names provided by police that match the names of students enrolled at UMass; however that could not immediately be confirmed.

A Mitsubishi four-door driven by Brynne S. Goldberg, 22, of West Hartford, Conn., crossed the center line on North East Street to maneuver around a police cruiser that was parked at the side of the road where another vehicle had been pulled over, said Amherst Police Lt. Ronald A. Young.

While passing by the cruiser, Goldberg’s vehicle collided head-on with a Ford Ranger driven by James N. Broderick, 24, of Amherst, officials said.

Goldberg, Broderick and two passengers in Goldberg’s vehicle, Meredith Kirby, 21, of Lenox, Mass., and Alexandra Kelley, 20, of Milton, Mass., were all hospitalized as a result, police said.

Young referred questions regarding the extent of each person’s injuries and their current condition to hospital officials who could not immediately be reached for comment.

Police said Goldberg will likely be issued a citation for unsafe lane change.

A dog inside Broderick’s truck was not injured, officials said.

Matt Rocheleau can be reached at mrochele@dailycollegian.com.

One Response to “Serious car crash sends four people to hospital”
  1. Ed says:

And the fact that there was a police car there – that the Amherst Police had perhaps made a bad choice in where to stop a vehicle – will not be part of the report.

Nor the fact that the driver well may have been blinded by the bright blue police lights. Some departments have night-time protocols of not turning absolutely everything on *because* they don’t want to blind drivers, but in Amherst, where we want to make sure everyone sees us, we don’t care….