MASSPIRG urges McDonalds to stop purchasing meat raised with antibiotics -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How to avoid, treat and prevent Computer Vision Syndrome as a college student. -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Narendra Modi and the US forge strengthening ties -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass receives research honor from the Carnegie Foundation -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Islamophobia is a form of racism that needs to be stopped -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Björk gets personal on breakup album, ‘Vulnicura’ -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass Dining nominated for Seafood Champion Award -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Why UMass basketball isn’t a good brand of basketball -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

BLOG: Joseph Widmar commits to UMass hockey -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

BLOG: New York Jets name Marcel Shipp new running backs coach -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A bond over basketball: Trey Davis and Zach Coleman’s friendship continues to grow at UMass -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: January 27, 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Panda Bear remains confident, even in the face of ‘The Grim Reaper’ -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Why I want to be a teacher -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams wrap up third-place finishes at Dartmouth Invitational -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

UMass’ College of Education to train Pakistani higher education administrators -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hao Luong shines for UMass men’s swimming and diving on Senior Day, prepares for end of college career -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Police Log: Friday, Jan. 23, 2015 to Monday, Jan. 26, 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Rachel Hilliard, Heather MacLean highlight solid performance from UMass women’s track and field -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hockey East: Eichel’s overtime goal pushes Boston University past Vermont -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Flyers roll past Spiders, Musketeers move up Top 25

Both sides of the court worked for Dayton, as it rolled over Richmond with an 83-31 victory on Saturday night.

The 52-point victory for the Flyers (15-4, 3-1 A-10) came off the support of three double-digit scorers over the Spiders (14-5, 3-1 A-10).

Senior Kendel Ross led all scorers with 16 points, along with eight rebounds. She was followed by sophomore Casey Nance (10 points, five rebounds) and sophomore Justine Raterman. In her 24 minutes of play, Raterman scored 12 points of Dayton’s 45 opening point tally.

In the first half of play, the Flyers shot 17-of-30 from the field and 3-of-9 from beyond the arc. The successful scoring by Dayton was followed by 23 rebounds in the opening half (seven offensive, 16 defensive).

Richmond was another story entirely, as the Spiders shot 6-for-35 from the field and 2-of-10 from the 3-point line in the opening half.

Also during the first half, the Flyers had 28 points in the paint as well as 15 fast break points. Richmond did not fare as well, tallying no points off of fast breaks and four points from the paint.

The second half was a similar story for both teams, as Dayton continued to build its lead. The Flyers once again outscored the Spiders 16-4 from inside the paint, as well as 23-14 in points off the bench.

Xavier collects votes

After a powerful weekend of play, No. 11 Xavier gained some votes from the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll which landed them in the Top 10 teams of the nation.

The Musketeers (14-3, 3-0 Atlantic 10) showed their high amount of skill this past weekend with a 62-53 rout over St. Bonaventure on Saturday night.

Juniors Ta’Shia Phillips and Special Jennings used an inside-outside combination to put together a combined 32 points in the game (16 each).

Phillips shot 7-of-10 from the field, and was one rebound shy of her 43rd career double-double, while Phillips blocked four shots.

Though Phillips’ and Jennings’ combination was unmatched, the rest of the Xavier lineup helped out in the victory over the Bonnies (14-6, 2-3 A-10). Senior April Phillips scored 12 points, with a perfect 3-of-3 shooting from the 3-point arc. Redshirt junior Amber Harris also reached double digits (10 points, eight rebounds) in her 21 minutes of play.

After leading 29-18 at the break, the Musketeers found themselves in trouble once play resumed. After extending their lead to 13 points, St. Bonaventure went on an 11-0 run, closing the scoring margin.

With the game’s score very close, both April and Ta’Shia Phillips went to work, halting the Bonnies with defensive stops. Xavier closed the game with a 13-5 run over St. Bonaventure to seal the victory.

The Musketeers will travel to Kingston, R.I. on Wednesday to play Rhode Island, who is sitting in eighth place in the A-10.

Special weekend for XU guard

Xavier guard Jennings earned A-10 Player of the Week honors after a stunning performance against both the Bonnies and Saint Louis.

Jennings had both 16 points and six assists in both games this past weekend, going 9-for-17 shooting between the two games. Most impressively, Jennings went 14-of-14 from the free-throw line over the weekend as well.

In 17 games played, Jennings leads the A-10 with 82 assists (4.8 per game). After her perfect free-throw shooting over the weekend, she moves up to seventh in the A-10 with 41-of-51 shooting.

As far as assists/turnover ratio goes, Jennings is in third place amongst her fellow A-10 players. Over the course of the season thus far, Jennings’ 82 assists are met by her 51 turnovers (ratio of 1.6).

Jennings is the fourth Musketeer to earn A-10 Player of the Week this season. Along with Harris and both April and Ta’Shia Philips, Jennings has earned her first Player of the Week award of her career.

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.