Stanley Andre reflects on his career as Senior Day approaches -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass tight end Jean Sifrin mulls future, potential NFL career -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Minutewomen host George Washington

whoopB

Injury plagued and down on its luck, the Massachusetts women’s basketball team looks to gain some momentum today when it welcomes George Washington into the Mullins Center.

The Minutewomen (7-12, 1-3 Atlantic 10) have lost three of their last four games, while also enduring a barrage of injuries.

UMass hopes to have all of its players back in uniform for today’s game after suffering injuries to Jasmine Watson, Kristina Danella and Stephanie Lawrence.

Today’s game against the Colonials (4-14, 1-4 A-10,) could set the Minutewomen straight, although they don’t play well at home.

“This is a very big game for us,” UMass coach Marnie Dacko said. “We’ve got to win at home… It’s important for us to do well in the Mullins Center. This team seems to be much more relaxed on the road. It’s just a matter of coming out with intensity and focus for 40 minutes.”

The Minutewomen were close to pulling off an upset against conference-leading Duquesne a week ago, but ultimately lost in overtime, 63-54. The game highlighted certain things that Dacko wanted to practice before hosting George Washington.

“We’re trying to work with two big players in [at the same time]: a combination of Nicole Jones, Jasmine Watson, and Shakia Robinson,” Dacko said. “It’s advantageous for us to go with bigger players, and when we add the size, we get more rebounding inside. However, it also disrupts our offensive tempo. But we’re spending more and more time being able to play with two bigs on the floor.”

UMass generates most of its scoring from its post players. Receiving more production from the guard positions would be a huge plus.

“Kim [Benton] and Diatema [Hill] really do a good job running the backcourt and making everything click,” Dacko said. “I would like to see Danella have a good game shooting and also Megan Zullo to come in and have a good game.”

Dacko, aware that her team leads the league in turnovers, has been preaching slower play and overall ball control as well.

After playing two of the strongest teams in the A-10 in Richmond and Duquesne, UMass is happy to welcome George Washington, which sits second to last in the standings.

UMass has one more thing working in their favor today – a stadium full of fans. The unusual 11:45 a.m. start time is due to “Field Trip Day”, where numerous local elementary schools will fill the seats at the Mullins Center.

“It’s going to be a great day for us because 4,000 kids are coming,” Dacko said. “The Mullins Center will be very, very loud. It’s always fun to have the young kids come in and get them excited.”

Aside from the large crowd, Dacko is also excited to play the Colonials, but she will not take them lightly.

“They like to run and play fast,” Dacko said. “They just beat La Salle, 58-50. They’re the ones on the road so we have to be able to take them down a notch.”

George Washington boasts one of the superior centers in the league in Sara Mostafa. In 18 games this season, the 6-foot-5 Mostafa averages 9.3 points and 6.3 rebounds per game. She also leads her team in blocks, with 22.

“They’ve got Mostafa inside who is really good,” Dacko said. “We have to take her game away, push the ball up in transition, get up and just play smart basketball.”

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.