Veterans Advocacy Services cancels event celebrating Hampshire College flag victory -

UMass women’s basketball team can’t recover from sluggish start in 65-55 loss to George Mason -

‘Loving’ is simple, honest and a rare beauty -

Trump’s victory is unsurprising in racist America -

Capitalism must be fixed, not replaced -

Three-point shooting sinks UMass women’s basketball in loss to George Mason -

Use words to describe, not diminish -

Student sport organization holds video game tournament to raise money for scholarship -

‘Hacksaw Ridge’ starts slow but escalates quickly -

UMass hockey fails to generate scoring chances in 3-0 loss to Notre Dame Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball shooting woes continue as the Minutemen fall 65-62 to UCF -

Despite poor shooting performance, UMass men’s basketball shows improvement on defensive end -

Notebook: Ty Flowers shines in UMass men’s basketball’s loss to UCF Saturday -

Ray Pigozzi shines in first game back for the UMass hockey team since November 4 -

UMass starts hot, finishes strong in upset win over No. 12 Notre Dame -

SGA vice president will resign at the end of the semester -

Raise the Flag protestors praise -

Dining and Housekeeping employees at Smith College seek new contract -

In response to election, immigration lawyer briefs students on potential changes -

Avinoam Patt discusses the role of displaced Jews in the creation of Israel -

Heavy rain causes flooding on campus

View Rain in a larger map

Heavy rain and warm temperatures causing rapid snowmelt made for sloppy conditions across campus Monday.

Flash flooding in parking lots surrounding the Robsham Visitors Center formed a small lake by mid-afternoon, flooding nearly a dozen vehicles including senior Adam Nadeau’s 2000 Nissan Altima.

Photos by David Brinch and Matt Rocheleau, Collegian staff

Nadeau tried to drive through a flooded entrance between lot 32 and a metered parking lot near the visitor’s center, but was not able to tell how deep the water was until he found his car submerged in around two and a half feet of water.

“I could tell there was water, but I couldn’t tell how much,” said the 24-year-old finance major, who was the only one in the car and made it out safely.

The National Weather Service issued a flash flood watch, which is in effect until 7 p.m. and a flood warning in effect until 7:30 p.m. There was also a wind advisory in effect until 6 p.m. Winds could gust up to 45 miles per hour.

The forecast in the area called for 1 to 3 inches of rain. And, with temperatures in the mid- to high-50’s, rapid snowmelt increased the chances for flooding.

A tow truck driver from Ernie’s Towing, which serves Northampton, Amherst and surrounding communities, said at least 10 vehicles had to be towed from the lots surrounding the visitor’s center. The driver, who asked that his name not be used, said he was also aware of severe flooding on streets in downtown Northampton that caused cars to float into one another.

Matt Rocheleau can be reached at mrochele@dailycollegian.com.