UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

NoHo brewery brings cozy atmosphere, tasty beer

Right in the heart of downtown Northampton sits the Northampton Brewery Bar and Grille. Located at 11 Brewster Court, it is one of the best places to go when you’re looking for classic American cuisine with a twist. This establishment is the oldest brewpub in the northeast that is still in operation and it prides itself on serving up some of the most outstanding food to go along with one – or many – of their home-brewed fine ales and lagers.

The setup of the restaurant includes an outdoor, rooftop beer garden as well as a sunroom. It’s made up almost entirely of windows, and where there isn’t glass, the walls are made of beautiful wooden plank framing. Although there’s often a wait to be seated, the customers are encouraged to walk right up to the bar and grab a drink while passing the time before getting a table. Once you grab a seat, feel free to ask your server for a game, such as dominoes, checkers or cards, to name a few, to play while you wait.

In the evenings, the Brewery’s dim-lit interior, coupled with the warm glow of the two giant fireplaces, is a great place to get cozy with a significant other at a small table for two. Once the food is served, however, the night can only get better.

The Brewery is known for having a wide selection of menu items, all at reasonable prices, including dishes like freshly made soups, sandwiches and Black Angus burgers on locally-baked breads, and entrees that range from plates of slow-roasted pork prepared with beer brewed in-house, to a heaping bowl of chicken and tiger shrimp jambalaya complete with smoked andouille sausage, vegetables and long-grain white rice.

The eatery also has a chef’s page, which changes seasonally and includes items such as roasted vegetable quesadillas in the early fall and an akara and hummus wrap in the winter, which is made with Nigerian bean cakes in a spinach tortilla with roasted red pepper hummus, mesclun greens, carrots, tomatoes and red onion.

Still, among a multitude of delicious options, the Brewery is most famous for one thing on its menu, other than the beer: their chili.

Unlike the normal ground beef and bean chili that is often found at other restaurants, they slow-cook generous chunks of stew beef with a variety of spices, plump red beans, and their very own amber beer. Serve it up with some tri-colored tortilla chips and you could very well turn your starter into a meal.

As for dessert, you can choose from one of the many classic items such as homemade apple pie, seasonal cheesecakes, or their specialty, the Black Cat Chocolate Stout Cake, made with their very own Black Cat Stout. No matter what you order, the servers are friendly, always ready with drink refills on hand, and willing to answer any questions you might have.

The Northampton Brewery is a great place to go if you’re searching for appetizing food, flavorful beer, or even food items that are prepared with beer, served all together in an eclectic and warm environment that is just a few minutes away from campus.

Alex Tillotson can be reached at atillots@student.umass.edu.