REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

UMass football kicks off day one of fall camp Monday -

Monday, August 17, 2015

Cyr: The time to start talking football is back again -

Monday, August 17, 2015

UMass football adds series with USF, Maine to future schedules -

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Minutemen hit the road in search of series wins

The Massachusetts hockey team will seek revenge and will attempt to claim the rubber match of series against Hockey East opponents Boston University and Providence this weekend. 

Both the Terriers (8-11-3, 6-9-2 HEA) and Friars (9-13-1, 4-11-1 HEA) handed the No. 15 Minutemen (15-9-0, 10-7-0 HEA) losses in their last matchup after UMass got the better of both teams in the first meeting. 

After defeating then-No. 2 BU, 3-2, in their second game of the season, the Minutemen had one of their worst performances of the year in a 7-3 loss to the Terriers. Though UMass scored three power-play goals in the contest, BU equaled the amount in half the chances (six). Goaltender Paul Dainton had his worst performance, giving up six scores while making 22 saves. 

Since that game, the junior has played well and was a major factor in a four-game winning streak for the Minutemen prior to their loss to Vermont. 

UMass coach Don Cahoon realizes his team was out-played and physically beaten by the Terriers in their last meeting, but feels they are playing much better of late. 

“The difference in the last BU game and the first game was the physicality,” Cahoon said. “They physically took us out of the game, they finished every check, knocked us around, they tried to intimidate us in their building, and we’re playing in their building again so I expect much of the same. How we stand up to that and how we perform under those conditions will go a long way to determine what we’re able to get done.” 

Cahoon, however, dismissed the idea that the loss to the Terriers will have any effect on the matchup this weekend. As far as he is concerned, that loss is well behind the team. 

“We know what the reasons were for playing that way, so now what we have to do is to make sure that doesn’t happen again,” Cahoon said. “That clearly is out of our minds now, it’s not about that game anymore, it’s about Friday night.” 

Providence, meanwhile, enters the weekend in the midst of a three-game losing streak, having dropped nine of its last 11 contests. The Friars sit in the basement of the Hockey East, one point behind Merrimack. 

In their last meeting, Providence handed UMass its first loss of the season at the Mullins Center, after the Minutemen began the season with three consecutive victories, including a win in Rhode Island the previous night. The score was tied after the first two periods of play, but the Friars overpowered UMass in the final frame, outscoring the Minutemen 3-1 to take the 5-3 win. 

Despite this seeming like a game that UMass should win, Cahoon isn’t dismissing the possibility of a challenge on the road. 

“In the Providence game, we’ll both be coming off games the night before and it’s hard to even envision what our mind-set is going to be based on the night before,” Cahoon said. “They’re a solid team and they’re particularly tough at home, so we’ll have to be playing really well. Whatever transpires on Friday against BU, we’ll have to put it aside and be able to go out and take care of business the next day.”

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.