UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Obama calls for new jobs in State of the Union address Wednesday

In Barack Obama’s first State of the Union address Wednesday, nationally televised before a joint session of Congress, the president hoped to restore plummeting confidence among Americans that Washington can work effectively to produce a cure for the current economic downturn.

Just one week after the surprising victory of Republican Scott Brown in the Mass. Senatorial special election that sent political reverberations across the country, President Obama looked to convey to Americans that he is focused on tackling the economic recession that has left the United States with unemployment hovering over ten percent.

The president told his fellow Democrats to not “run for the hills,” despite increasing resistance to the party’s political agenda from Republicans and lobbyists and rising skepticism amongst the electorate.

Obama admitted that he did not enjoy the much-denigrated bailouts of the financial sector, noting that they “were about as popular as a root canal.” He stated that while the government has recovered most of the money given to banks, he was not yet finished, and pressed for support in his recent campaign to tax the nation’s largest banks to obtain the rest.

In his 71-minute speech, the president also defended the stimulus package, which passed as one of his administration’s first achievements.

“Without it, unemployment could be double what it is today,” said Obama. “It saved more than two million jobs,” he claimed, and stated that it should save another 1.5 million jobs before the end of 2010. The president also pushed Congress to fight unemployment further, stating that he would like “a jobs bill on my desk without delay,” so that America can “lay a new foundation for long-term economic growth.”

Obama’s rhetoric at moments suggested that legislation capping-down on the Wall Street business practices that led to the economic downturn could be in the pipeline. He referred to the 2000s as a “lost decade” whose “prosperity built on a housing bubble and financial speculation,” and noted that the country needs to expand into the emerging green sector to create jobs before other nations beat America to it, including introducing “a new generation of safe, clean nuclear power plants,” along with bio-fuels and other clean energy.

Obama suggested that “there is no reason why Europe or China should be developing high-speed trains” and other green jobs, while the U.S. settles for less, and announced a new high-speed railroad funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA).

“I do not accept second place for the United States of America,” said the President, one of the only instances he elicited full applause from the joint session of Congress.

Despite the bitterly partisan political climate, Obama still attempted to reach across the aisle to Republicans on some issues, including when he enthusiastically stated that he had been able to cut taxes for millions of Americans, noting that “we haven’t raised income taxes by a single dime on a single person. Not a single dime.” 

Republicans chose to decline joining the Democrats in clapping for the line, leading Obama to joke briefly with his tough congressional crowd.

“I thought I’d get some applause for that one,” said Obama.

Nick Bush can be reached nbush@student.umass.edu.