UMass men’s basketball shows improvement in 3-point shooting. -

UMass men’s basketball cruises to a victory over Pacific behind a strong second half -

UMass Divest and proponents of sanctuary campus will not be allowed to speak at Board of Trustees meeting -

Former political prisoner to speak on human rights and prison experience -

UMass men’s basketball using late-game situations as learning opportunities for remainder of season -

UMass men’s basketball kicks off Gotham Classic at home against Pacific -

UMass hockey looks to continue recent improvements against Connecticut -

UMass hockey team confident in game plan despite UConn’s constant change in net -

UMass women’s basketball falls apart in the fourth quarter in 71-55 loss to Hofstra -

It’s been a long year -

A return to the collapse of 2008 -

Mindfulness in, and in spite of, a technological age -

Beer, bets and pool: a High Horse unofficial review -

Don’t let winter stop you from running outside -

BREAKING: Train allegedly strikes pedestrian in Amherst -

Campus Climate survey shows strong response -

Jennifer Carlson gives talk on race and gun law enforcement -

Labor Center to receive increased funding from University -

Verdi enforces playing a full 40 minutes as UMass takes on Hofstra -

Mulligan looks to continue seven game double-double streak at Hofstra -

UMass heads to Roxbury for Reebok Boston Indoor Games

Heading into the third week of competition, the Massachusetts track and field teams will travel to the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center in Roxbury, Mass. on Friday for the annual Reebok Boston Indoor Games.

The meet on Friday offers UMass a chance to compete against the top 10-12 teams on the east coast, and then the spectacle changes over to an international competition involving athletes with Olympic hopes on Saturday and Sunday.

Men’s coach Ken O’Brien says his team is excited to perform on the same stage as Olympic athletes and gain valuable experience and tips from watching them train.

“We’ve done the Boston Games for about the last ten years or so,” O’Brien said. “It has always been great for us because not only do we get to compete against the best in the east on Friday, but then the rest of the weekend is spent watching gold medalists train for the Olympics. Our guys couldn’t be more excited.”

Coming off an impressive third place finish at Rhode Island last weekend, the Minutemen will look to build off their performances thus far.

Leading UMass last week at URI was junior sprinter Darius Velez, who secured his place in the record books with his time of 6.39 in the 55-meter dash. His mark not only places him second all-time in school history, but second in the Atlantic 10 this season. Velez also qualified for both the New England and Eastern College Athletic Conference Championships at the end of the season.

Strong performances from seniors Tyler Cotto and Daniel Barry, as well as freshman Nick Otis, add depth and versatility to the Minutemen, allowing them to contend in every event they enter. Otis and Cotto each finished second in their event while Barry qualified for ECACs with a time of 4:14.46 in the mile run, good enough for first place.

“I’m very happy with the guys so far this season,” O’Brien said. “This weekend is one more chance for the entire team to improve and get some experience and versatility before we really get going in the spring.”

The women’s team will be joining the men in Boston on Friday. After a fifth place finish last week, the Minutewomen are set to compete in Boston and are looking to capitalize on early momentum by some of their fast-starters. 

Senior thrower Lisa Wilson set two school records last week, one in the weight throw and the other in the shot put, which she previously set this season. Both marks qualified her for the New England and ECAC Championships.

Also leading the Minutewomen thus far have been the performances by the youngest members of the team, freshmen Courtney Baldwin, Nalis Mbianda and Nicole Pompei.

In her first meet as a collegiate athlete, Mbianda placed fourth in the shot put and qualified for the ECAC Championships. Had it not been for Wilson’s record-setting throw, Mbianda would have set a UMass record for the shot put in her first event.

Pompei came away with first place in the pole vault and earned A-10 Rookie Performer of the week honors in only her second meet.

In the 1000-meter distance run, Baldwin finished second and has now qualified for ECACs in both the 1000-meter and the mile run.

The Boston Indoor Games are set to begin Friday, Jan. 29 at the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.