Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Field goal percentage paying off for Minutewomen as of late

Field goal percentage has not been one of the Massachusetts women’s basketball teams strong points, but it certainly was on Saturday.

The Minutewomen (8-13, 2-4 Atlantic 10) have the third worst shooting percentage in the A-10, at .381 percent. However, the Minutewomen’s most recent win over Rhode Island (9-13, 2-5 A-10) shows that maybe they’re bucking the trend.

At the Ryan Center on Saturday afternoon, UMass shot at a 44.4 percent clip from the field, their most-efficient scoring effort this season.

Sophomore forward Kristina Danella led the Minutewomen with 17 points on 5-of-10 shooting. Redshirt junior guard Megan Zullo played one of her best games since transferring from North Carolina State last year, registering 13 points on 4-of-8 shots, while adding six rebounds, three assist and four steals.

The two starters that hurt UMass’ shooting percentage were senior guards Kim Benton and Diatema Hill. Benton converted on one of her seven shot attempts and was not much of a factor in the backcourt, while Hill made up for her nine missed shots with an all-around game, finishing the contest with nine points, seven rebounds and six assists.

Although both Danella and Zullo helped lead UMass to a superb shooting night, the bench players were the difference-makers.

After missing significant time due to a concussion, freshman guard Dee Montgomery returned to action and showed what she’s capable of.

In seven minutes off the bench, Montgomery netted five points, and hit both of her shots from the field, including a 3-pointer. The bench’s perfect shooting night continued when sophomore center Nicole Jones hit all three of her shot attempts for nine points.

Junior forward Stephanie Lawrence followed suit, going 1-for-1 from the field in seven minutes of play. The only UMass bench player to not record a perfect shooting night was junior forward Cerie Mosgrove, who shot 2-of-6 from the field, with both of her made baskets being three-pointers. Rounding off bench play was freshman forward Shakia Robinson, who did not register a shot attempt in eight minutes of play.

The Minutewomen also reversed another strong trend by registering more points off turnovers than their opponents. In most contests this year, UMass’ poor ball control has given their opponents many opportunities for easy baskets. On Saturday however, the Minutewomen scored 19 points off Rams’ turnovers, while giving up just 12 points on their own turnovers.

UMass continued its consistent shooting at the free throw line, where it converted on 12-of-16 shots (75 percent). That percentage is essentially identical to the Minutewomen’s 75.1 percent season average, which is second best in the conference, behind Saint Bonaventure’s 79.5 percent.

Although Rhode Island is one of the A-10’s weaker teams, UMass took several steps in the right direction against the Rams. If the Minutewomen can continue to shoot a high percentage from the field while turning the ball over less, more wins could be coming their way.

UMass begins a two-game home stand tonight when it hosts the Bonnies at 7 p.m. in the Mullins Center

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.