Captain Steve Iacobellis scores, but UMass hockey can’t find its offensive rhythm in 3-1 loss to UConn -

Minutemen can’t get offense going early in 3-1 loss at Connecticut -

Demonstrators issue demands at Board of Trustees meeting as Woolridge announces resignation from post of chairman -

UMass men’s basketball shows improvement in 3-point shooting. -

UMass men’s basketball cruises to a victory over Pacific behind a strong second half -

UMass Divest and proponents of sanctuary campus will not be allowed to speak at Board of Trustees meeting -

Former political prisoner to speak on human rights and prison experience -

UMass men’s basketball using late-game situations as learning opportunities for remainder of season -

UMass men’s basketball kicks off Gotham Classic at home against Pacific -

UMass hockey looks to continue recent improvements against Connecticut -

UMass hockey team confident in game plan despite UConn’s constant change in net -

UMass women’s basketball falls apart in the fourth quarter in 71-55 loss to Hofstra -

It’s been a long year -

A return to the collapse of 2008 -

Mindfulness in, and in spite of, a technological age -

Beer, bets and pool: a High Horse unofficial review -

Don’t let winter stop you from running outside -

BREAKING: Train allegedly strikes pedestrian in Amherst -

Campus Climate survey shows strong response -

Jennifer Carlson gives talk on race and gun law enforcement -

Spring Sports Preview

DailyCollegian.com has put together a topic page for its spring 2010 sports preview coverage. This page works best with Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer. If using Safari, click here to read these stories with the rest of our sports coverage.

features

A look at this year’s 2010 Minutemen

By: Pete Vasquez
Published: March 09, 2010

UMass coach Mike Stone feels fortunate about his team having a balance of upperclassmen as well as a fair amount of youth. The Minutemen will look to replace the loss of Mitchell Clegg and Adam Tempesta.

Posted in Baseball Comments (0) |

Minutemen looking to 2010 season after surviving cut

By: Dan Gigliotti
Published: March 09, 2010

The Massachusetts baseball team had its best season in six years while rumors swirled about the program getting cut. With that threat no longer in existence, the Minutemen hope to build on their success into 2010.

features

3 QUESTIONS

SOFTBALL

softball

Rebuilding part of process for UMass softball team

By: Adam Miller | Feb. 10, 2010 The Massachusetts softball team looks to continue its success as one of the best teams in the country, despite losing the team’s best pitcher in Brandice Balschmiter, along with three other starters. Read the full story | Comments (0)

Minutewomen favorites again, go for 23rd A-10 championship

By: Geena Lombardi | Feb. 10, 2010 The Minutewomen will rely on a higher fitness level from her players, a better defense and a shift from power hitting to speed in order to get back to the NCAA tournament. Without players like Whitney Mollica, Davina Hernandez, and Brandice Balschmiter, UMass will try for their 23rd A-10 championship. Read the full story | Comments (0)

UMass softball deserves praise, as well as viewers

By: Jeffrey R. Larnard | Jan. 10, 2010 Columnist Jeffrey R. Larnard discusses his coverage of the UMass softball teams triumphant game last season, and sheds new light on why students as well as UMass fans should go and catch a game this spring. Read the full story | Comments (0)

features

New conference for UMass in 2010

By: Neil Carroll | Feb. 10, 2010 Last year, a strong core of seniors carried the Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team back to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2006.This year’s team however, knows that it, again, has something to prove. Read the full story | Comments (0)

Talented youth defines UMass lacrosse team

By: David Brinch Published: February 10, 2010thumb.php

With the losses of Doc Schneider, Tim Balise and Jim Connolly, the Minutemen hope that in a new conference, a team with 13 freshmen can get back to the NCAA tournament for the 19th time in school history.

Posted in Men’s LacrosseComments (0) | ShareThis

3 QUESTIONS

WOMEN’S LACROSSE

froshh

Minutewomen begin 2010 season

By: Jay Asser | February 03, 2010

After winning the Atlantic 10 Regular-Season Title, the A-10 Tournament Title, and reaching the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 25 years, the Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team begins its 2010 season on Saturday. Coach Alexis Venechanos enters her fourth season with the Minutewomen after improving the team every year since coming to UMass in 2007.

Read the full story | Comments (0)

womenslax-b

2010 Minutewomen look to defend title

By: Herb Scribner | February 03, 2010

Heading into the 2010 season, the Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team returns nine of 12 starters from last year, while adding eight new freshmen. Though a young team, the Minutewomen feel that their roster is balanced from position to position and class by class.

Read the full story | Comments (0)

tennis

UMass travels to face Yale to begin spring season

By: Ben Lambert | February 03, 2010

Wrapping up its fall season with a 3-0 record, the Massachusetts tennis team will look to continue its momentum into the spring season. The Minutewomen will travel to Connecticut to face Yale, who is ranked No. 48 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

Read the full story | Comments (0)

hoopmini2