UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

Cosgrove returns home to face defending champs

Merritt Cosgrove came to play women’s lacrosse at Massachusetts from Carlsbad, Calif., which is a half-hour away from San Diego. Coincidently, the Minutewomen will open up their 2010 season in the same city that the senior calls home, against five-time defending national champion Northwestern.

“I’ve always been in someone else’s climate, someone else’s hometown,” Cosgrove said. “And it’s great to have that and see how excited they get, but I finally get to the opportunity to see my entire family.”

Cosgrove competed for La Costa Canyon High School, where she won Athlete of the Year and Scholar-Athlete of the year, while becoming acquainted with an environment that only “America’s Finest City” brings.

“I love it, it’s hopefully going to bring good enough weather,” Cosgrove said.

A former All-San Diego County lacrosse team player, Cosgrove will compete for the first time in California since beginning her college career four years ago.

“It’s the pride of [being] from your area and being able to compete in your home. It’s amazing,” Cosgrove said.

Cosgrove will enter her home city with a young team by her side, which reminds her of her earlier days of playing in Carlsbad.

“I love having a young team because there’s a lot of spirit,” Cosgrove said. “I mean, some of my best years in high school, in any sport, were with a young team. So I’m excited for everybody, where they’re coming from and the different positions they’re offering.”

When speculation began about the Minutewomen playing in San Diego, Cosgrove could not contain the excitement of possibly having her family watch her compete.

“There were kind of rumors about that it would be happening, as other teams were putting up their schedules,” Cosgrove said. “It was amazing, I’ve never been able to experience that.”

Though it is no surprise that UMass will take on a tough opponent in the Wildcats in its first game of 2010, Cosgrove offered a positive view of tomorrow night’s game.

“It’s going to be a great competition,” Cosgrove said. “We’ve played against them six or seven times throughout my career, and even though they’re really tough, their going to prepare us for the season and we’re only going to go up from there.”

Cosgrove’s first meeting against Northwestern was back in 2007, when like most of the Minutewomen offense, she failed to produce any offensive spark which led to a 14-8 loss to the Wildcats.

It was a similar case in 2008, when an inexperienced Cosgrove could not produce against Northwestern, recording only one turnover and a foul.

Last season, when Cosgrove was named to the 2009 Atlantic 10 All-Tournament and All-Academic Teams, the San Diego native had her best game against the Wildcats when she took three shots on goal and earned a pair of draw controls in an 18-2 loss.

Nearly two months later on May 10, in UMass’ final game of the season, Cosgrove earned three fouls in the contest against Northwestern. She did, however, display her defensive midfield skills with a draw control during the contest.

As one of the most experienced players on the team, Cosgrove looks to lead the Minutewomen to a victory against the Wildcats tomorrow night.

“She’ll play some defense, she’ll play some midfield, she’ll take some runs on attack,” said head coach Alexis Venechanos.

In its five past regular season meetings, UMass is 0-4 against Northwestern, something that the returning-home Cosgrove will look to change.

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.