Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Students respond to Obama’s State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Steve Mastalerz, defense delivers for UMass hockey -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass online graduate programs climb U.S. News & World Report rankings -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Front to Back: Week of Jan. 25, 2015 -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

‘Selma’ resonates with the here and now -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Minutemen face third-straight tough opponent in URI

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team will complete what coach Derek Kellogg considers the toughest three-game stretch in his coaching career at UMass on Saturday against Rhode Island.

UMass (8-14, 2-6 Atlantic 10) is coming off two straight losses where it shrunk the deficit in the second half, but couldn’t hold onto the lead. On Jan. 30, the Minutemen went on a 10-3 run against Charlotte until the 49ers went on a tear of their own and kept a convincing lead for the rest of the game.

The Maroon and White had a similar result against Xavier on Wednesday, when it erased a 17-point deficit at halftime to take the lead with just over four minutes to play. However, guard Jordan Crawford would not let his team go away easily, and hit back-to-back 3-pointers as the Musketeers held on for the win.

The Minutemen now head to Kingston, R.I., to face the overall winningest team in the A-10. The Rams (18-3, 6-2 A-10) have the highest winning percentage (.857) in the conference, with a two-point loss to Virginia Commonwealth being the only defeat outside their A-10 schedule.

They also have one of the best home-court advantages in the country with a 9-1 record.

Kellogg knows it will be tough to defeat a team that has had such a high level of success this season on the road, but he’s hoping the effort against Xavier will carry over into Saturday.

“We showed some character once again that we’re not going to go down without swinging and now we’ve got to be the team that hits the first time instead of waiting to take the blows,” Kellogg said.

URI’s main strength is its maturity. Despite having five freshmen, the Rams’ entire lineup is upperclassmen. They are also challenging because of their willingness to be aggressive on defense with their press.

“They’re an older, more mature team and they play a unique style,” Kellogg said. “They press the whole game, they try to play up and down and they’ve really nestled into being comfortable in how they want to play.” 

URI’s two conference losses were to No. 19 Temple on Jan. 10 and Xavier on Jan. 23. Since then, the Rams have been on a three-game winning streak and could be one of five or six teams from the A-10 to make the NCAA Tournament.

“They’re a team that’s really been a surprise nationally with how good they’ve played and how good they’ve been record-wise,” Kellogg said.

URI is led by senior guard Keith Cothran (16.1 points per game), who has given UMass problems in the past. At the Mullins Center last season, he finished the game with 26 points on 11-of-17 shooting to go with three steals.

The Rams went on to win that game, 71-59. However, if last year is any reason to be encouraged as to how the Minutemen might do away from the Mullins Center, they only have to look at last season’s contest at the Ryan Center on March 7, 2009.

With 6.5 seconds left in the game, Chris Lowe left a memorable impression during his last regular season game and went the length of the court to score with .6 seconds left.

Lowe finished the game with 18 points on 7-of-15 shooting while adding seven assists in the effort.

Game notes:

The Rams have beaten all three teams they’ve played with head coaches who spent time at UMass (Boston College, Oklahoma State and Drexel). All three wins came between Dec. 13 and Jan 2.

Adam Miller can be reached at amiller@dailycollegian.com.