UMass tight end Jean Sifrin mulls future, potential NFL career -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass competes in New England Open

The Massachusetts men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams will head to Chestnut Hill this Saturday to compete in the New England Open.

The event will last for most of the day and will feature programs such as Rhode Island, Providence and host Boston College.

The meet will be the final tune up for the UMass teams before the Atlantic 10 Championships, which will be held Feb. 17-20. Both teams are coming off of an exciting home meet against Fordham on Senior Day, when sophomore diver Jason Cook had a record-breaking performance.

Last weekend’s A-10 showdowns were each team’s third race in two weeks and eighth total dual meet this season. After a compact part of the schedule, both teams will embark on a period of rest and mental preparation before the all-important conference championships. The meet this week is integral in giving experience.

“The New England Open is an opportunity for our kids that are not going to the Atlantic 10 to swim,” UMass women’s coach Bob Newcomb said. The Minutewomen will have six swimmers who will be competing in this weekend’s race. “That is their last meet of the season, and they’re going to swim as hard as they can.”

The Minutewomen who are competing in the A-10’s this weekend, as well as next, will have an opportunity to recharge and revamp. Newcomb stated that the most important thing for his swimmers to do during this time is to “sleep well, eat well, and get ahead of the academics.”

The race marks the last invitational the UMass teams will compete in. So far this season, both teams have been very successful in meets of this variety. The teams swam well in their last invitational, both placing first in Kingston, R.I.

Men’s coach Russ Yarworth had similar thoughts concerning this time of year. He made it clear that the most important thing to do is rest.

“We’re basically resting or sharpening, sharpening our skills and making sure we feel fast, and making sure they’re not tired,” Yarworth said.

The Minutemen have yet to slow down this season, as they have won three straight dual meets. Yarworth attributed that to the team’s work ethic and believes that in order to defend their A-10 title, they must get back to full strength.

“These guys have certainly done the work, so now we just want to stay healthy,” Yarworth said.

Jeffrey Engmann can be reached at jengmann@student.umass.edu.