UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

GetWellMeals_WebBanners

GetWellMeals_WebBanners

UMass competes in New England Open

The Massachusetts men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams will head to Chestnut Hill this Saturday to compete in the New England Open.

The event will last for most of the day and will feature programs such as Rhode Island, Providence and host Boston College.

The meet will be the final tune up for the UMass teams before the Atlantic 10 Championships, which will be held Feb. 17-20. Both teams are coming off of an exciting home meet against Fordham on Senior Day, when sophomore diver Jason Cook had a record-breaking performance.

Last weekend’s A-10 showdowns were each team’s third race in two weeks and eighth total dual meet this season. After a compact part of the schedule, both teams will embark on a period of rest and mental preparation before the all-important conference championships. The meet this week is integral in giving experience.

“The New England Open is an opportunity for our kids that are not going to the Atlantic 10 to swim,” UMass women’s coach Bob Newcomb said. The Minutewomen will have six swimmers who will be competing in this weekend’s race. “That is their last meet of the season, and they’re going to swim as hard as they can.”

The Minutewomen who are competing in the A-10’s this weekend, as well as next, will have an opportunity to recharge and revamp. Newcomb stated that the most important thing for his swimmers to do during this time is to “sleep well, eat well, and get ahead of the academics.”

The race marks the last invitational the UMass teams will compete in. So far this season, both teams have been very successful in meets of this variety. The teams swam well in their last invitational, both placing first in Kingston, R.I.

Men’s coach Russ Yarworth had similar thoughts concerning this time of year. He made it clear that the most important thing to do is rest.

“We’re basically resting or sharpening, sharpening our skills and making sure we feel fast, and making sure they’re not tired,” Yarworth said.

The Minutemen have yet to slow down this season, as they have won three straight dual meets. Yarworth attributed that to the team’s work ethic and believes that in order to defend their A-10 title, they must get back to full strength.

“These guys have certainly done the work, so now we just want to stay healthy,” Yarworth said.

Jeffrey Engmann can be reached at jengmann@student.umass.edu.