Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Frontcourt leads UMass to victory

5The Massachusetts women’s basketball team delivered a strong performance in its 60-50 win over Fordham on Saturday.

The win represented the first at the Mullins Center since Nov. 22, when the Minutewomen defeated Villanova, 55-47.

UMass looked to its frontcourt to provide most of the scoring, which has been the case for most of the season.

UMass freshman center Jasmine Watson was overwhelming throughout the contest, netting a career-high 21 points, while adding eight rebounds, three blocks and an assist.

Watson’s 21 points came on 9-of-12 shooting, while six of her eight rebounds were offensive. Beside her was sophomore forward Kristina Danella, who scored 16 points of her own. Danella hit three 3-pointers and added six rebounds.

Overall, 37 of the 60 points UMass scored came from Watson and Danella. Their persistent scoring allowed the Minutewomen to build a nine-point lead in the first half, which they didn’t relinquish.

Backcourt Support

On 1-11 shooting, the UMass guards did not provide much of the scoring for the Minutewomen. However, they did find their teammates in the right situations.

Redshirt junior Megan Zullo led both teams in assists with seven, with senior teammates Kim Benton and Diatiema Hill adding five and four, respectively. In total, the three players totaled 16 assists on seven turnovers, which made up for their combined 2-16 shooting from the field.

In the end, the backcourt stuck with what was working – scoring from their forwards. UMass’ 19 assists in the game bests its seasonal average by six.

Bench Efficiency

With more than half UMass’ 60 points coming from Watson and Danella, the Minutewomen needed scoring from somewhere else – which they received from the bench.

The UMass reserves owned a chunk of the scoring, registering 16 points on 5-10 shooting. They went 3-of-4 from both the free-throw line and from 3-point range.

UMass is first in the conference in 3-point field goals made, with 144. Duquesne ranks second in 3s, with 133. Everybody on the bench converted one 3-pointer except for sophomore center Nicole Jones, who scored five points.

Overall, the Minutewomen shot 6-of-14 from beyond the arc, which is a large part of its offense.

UMass won an important game by executing in various aspects. Its point scoring forwards scored, its backcourt assisted and the bench shot efficiently from the field. The combination worked towards giving UMass a win on its home court, something it hadn’t experienced since late November.       

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.